Fall off to a decent start

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Decided to pull my head out of the work load and post some updates.

We started off the year early with a set of twins. The cow is a Club King x Joy embryo, and surprised us by calving 2 weeks early. She was AI bred to Optimizer, had the first heifer calf and it was dead (I watched from the house, and ran out when I saw the placental membranes - she just laid there. Calf was in the sac. I tried to revive it but it was no luck). That was on Sunday, and we went to church with me in the mindset she is on the next truck to town (she is the cow that calved 30 days early last fall, with an embryo calf, and it died 48 hours later). Come home from church and she has this dandy laying next to her:
adc1ua.jpg

Both heifers were marked almost identical. The dead one was 46 pounds, this one was 45. I actually palped the cow while she was cleaning the dead calf, and was all the way up to my shoulders and felt no other calf so we were (happily) surprised to see the second calf. The calf is doing great!
Monday, we woke up to find these two little dandies!
1zn4o5d.jpg

This is a first calf heifer, who is sired by Iron Hide (my first in production) and out of the next cow pictured (a Shear Force x Built Right). This little bull calf was 46 pounds, and 10 days early. Sired by Lockdown (my last straw- will not buy more). He id doing great, but we pulled the pair up close to the house so I can watch him. She is doing a great job! She will be sold this fall in our Fall Harvest sale as a pair.

This is the other one:
29olwfq.jpg

She is an embryo, sired by STF Royal Affair and out of Fantasy (pictured). She was 68 pounds, and a few days early.
33oh1uc.jpg

And this little dandy was born this morning while I was at work!
2vculpe.jpg

She is another embryo, sired by Bandwagon out of a cow called Rumor (Analyse This x Superman cow). I have not weighed her yet, but guess her to be in the low 80's. Her recip dam is a Shear Force x Built Right that has always had an AI calf, but I had so many embryos I put one in her. She is the dam of the 2 year old pictured above. She is an 09 Model, so almost 10 years old. Her udder is one of my best, and she raises a great calf every year.

I pictured this little girl too. She is a June, sired by SSC Shell Shocked. I am really liking his calves; she is the second one we have had. They come super small (too small for me), and then hit a growth spurt at about 60 days. She is just 90 days old, and look at her! Her dam is an Upgrade 3/4 blood female that has always done a great job. I have her bred back to Optimizer for a early April calf.
502tlf.jpg

Lots more to go! Here is praying that our year continues... we finally have grass again, I just have to find hay!

What don't you like about Lock Down? Also is that your first Royal Affair calf?

Franke":2gmie9ut said:
What don't you like about Lock Down? Also is that your first Royal Affair calf?

They come small, but do not grow like I like. I think there are just as good, cheaper, and easier to access bulls out there to use. I do not use Cattle Visions much.

Yes, this is my first Royal Affair calf. Like her so far!

Well if that Royal Affair turns out half as good as his momma she should sell quite well.

Franke":29d5eee0 said:
Well if that Royal Affair turns out half as good as his momma she should sell quite well.

The Onyx cow is one of my favorites! I am hoping to pick up some embryos in the dispersal sale, but realize they will likely be too high!
We were really surprised at all the white this heifer has. Her dam is a Built Right cow, and even though her sire is solid black, he is a Lock N Load... so maybe that helped a bunch. Regardless, we are happy! She is a bit of a spook right now, the other three babies let me pet them in the field; the Royal Affair calf runs as far as she can when she sees me! Maybe I smell??? :lol:
We have two more embryos.... of that mating. They are IVF, so not hoping for much!

Fire Sweep Ranch":vdn5gljy said:
Franke":vdn5gljy said:

The Onyx cow is one of my favorites! I am hoping to pick up some embryos in the dispersal sale, but realize they will likely be too high!
We were really surprised at all the white this heifer has. Her dam is a Built Right cow, and even though her sire is solid black, he is a Lock N Load... so maybe that helped a bunch. Regardless, we are happy! She is a bit of a spook right now, the other three babies let me pet them in the field; the Royal Affair calf runs as far as she can when she sees me! Maybe I smell??? :lol:
We have two more embryos.... of that mating. They are IVF, so not hoping for much!
I would like to go but I work. She is a really good looking cow. I wouldn't mind trying Royal Affair because of her. How have your percentages on IVF's been?

Franke":3hwjxev0 said:
How have your percentages on IVF's been?

Well, we have only put in 2, and one took. I do not like IVF, and try to avoid. The other set (Wheelman x Crocus) were advertised as conventional, but arrived as IVF. No conception, but only put in one. The Fantasy set came from a great source that I trust (Silent Night Farms), we put in one and got that heifer calf.

We have put in LOTS of conventional (likely over 75), and get about 66% conception on those...

Fire Sweep Ranch":3uw8ijip said:
We have put in LOTS of conventional (likely over 75), and get about 66% conception on those...
We are right at 67% in the past two years with 37 for 55, all conventional. Hard to justify the double to triple the price for less than a 50% average on conception with IVF.

Another one added to the herd today while I was at work. This is our first 1143y sired calf. 71 pounds, heifer. Cow is a 3 year old Combustible x Macho/Built right dam. She is an embryo. Her first calf was dead at birth, I was there. Glad we gave her a second chance. We are likely consigning this pair to our sale this fall. With 4 heifers, we can only show 2... and we drastically need to cut numbers. I have the cow's flush sister here in production.... so we will sell this one.
jkbrld.jpg

be8ods.jpg

I've never used him, but I had it in my head that STF Royal Affair was a red bull. guess not!!!
I have had three calves since the 1st - all 3 heifers and all 3 blaze faced!!! Heifers & blaze must be the "in" thing this fall. I'll take them!

Jeanne - Did you watch the Silver Town Farms dispersal sale yesterday? The live lots were good money, I thought. The embryos were cheap compared to what I thought they would bring. I picked up a set of the Deception embryos. She is a flush sister to Onyx, and a whale of a cow.
6ss3ko.jpg

I am loving my white faced babies! 3 heifers and one bull so far.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3exrfrh6 said:
Jeanne - Did you watch the Silver Town Farms dispersal sale yesterday? The live lots were good money, I thought. The embryos were cheap compared to what I thought they would bring. I picked up a set of the Deception embryos. She is a flush sister to Onyx, and a whale of a cow.
6ss3ko.jpg

I am loving my white faced babies! 3 heifers and one bull so far.

Isn't that kinda short in the neck?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ihn8aaw said:
No I did not watch it.
Glad you found some embryos. I knew you wanted to get more. I'm going to "assume" they were conventional?

Yep. The DV auctions guy on the other end confirmed it.
GCF Caliente showed her age also. At almost 14 years of age, she only flushes IVF now, but still sold for $3200. Big risk there.

Ron, I like short necked cattle! :clap: :lol:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1yu2uk1c said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1yu2uk1c said:
No I did not watch it.
Glad you found some embryos. I knew you wanted to get more. I'm going to "assume" they were conventional?

Yep. The DV auctions guy on the other end confirmed it.
GCF Caliente showed her age also. At almost 14 years of age, she only flushes IVF now, but still sold for $3200. Big risk there.

Ron, I like short necked cattle! :clap: :lol:

Apparently, some of the judges don't. :cboy:

Took some pics to a few of the new babies tonight. These two pairs are in our Fall Harvest sale, so I tried to get some pics for the catalog. My good cannon camera is in the shop, so I used my phone. Not as good....

This is the Combustible x Macho/Built Right 3 year old, nursing a W/C Lock n Load 1143Y heifer calf.
1441h5d.jpg

This is the Iron Hide x Pace Setter/Built Right 2 year old heifer nursing a W/C Lock Down bull calf.
in6gig.jpg

Latest posts