Fall Market?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Where do yall think the Fall market (Sept on) is headed?

Have 10 or so #550ish steers that could be weaned and put on grass. I have a place that needs cattle for ag exemption. I'm debating turning them out there until the fall. If prices would at least hold, I'm thinking there may be $100-200 to have and it would solve my other issue. Hate to take cows there because then I need a bull and have to take on a lot more work. I'm thinking turn the steers out with a molasses tub and maybe some wcs right when they are weaned.

I know it's always a gamble but are there any indicators of a fall in prices this year?

The cattle market looks strong. What can happen outside cattle that can or will effect the market? My crystal ball doesn't show any of those. If you are concerned look into LRP. You can put it on as many or as few head as you want. Using it at the lower level is pretty cheap. Doing that protects you from a huge drop in the market.

I think I would wean them for a couple weeks to get the bawl out then sell them and buy 10 older, thin, medium size bred cows that would calve in August/Sept.

Let them calve and stay through the winter. By spring flush you will have 10 more 400-500 lb calves plus 10 fat packer cows to sell into the strength of the market. You can buy LRP on those unborn calves if you want.

People running out of money is my big worry. It's killing the automotive market right now - well, that and the fact that the OEMs and dealers took greed to a whole new level

The smart thing in my mind is sell them now . The gambler in me says do what you talked about . Alternative is to buy some poor ones , worm and put them on that grass or move bred cows there later this summer or fall . Might turn off dry .

I'm not interested in buying additional animals. For rough numbers I think they are $1500 ish animals now and thought if I hold them to #650+ or so on grass they might go $1800 and kill two birds with one stone.

If it turns dry they will be a drag on their moms and the grass. On the new place they will not hurt it even if it is dry.

Grass them. If you genetics are good and grass is strong you could get to 1.7 lbs per day in your heat. I'm not there but grass and salt is all they need here to do that. A gentle old dry cow to keep them quiet is not a bad addition either.
Did you take note what our 790 weight steers forward contracted to?

Grass them. If you genetics are good and grass is strong you could get to 1.7 lbs per day in your heat. I'm not there but grass and salt is all they need here to do that. A gentle old dry cow to keep them quiet is not a bad addition either.
Did you take note what our 790 weight steers forward contracted to?
No I missed it. That's kind of what I was looking for and some help understanding how to apply it.

Latest posts