Fall Lime to Prep for Frost Seeding Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My soil tested 6.2 ph. This is in the recommended range for clover, but a 6.5 ph is said to be better.

Any experience with seeding success or clover stand longivity with minimum recommended vs. ideal ph?

I am trying to decide if I should buy P&K or lime plus P&K. :?:

SS, my ag ext agent is fond of saying, "If you can afford to only do one, lime or fert, always choose to lime." You may want to check with your local agent and see what they would recommend.

Good Luck!

Has it ever been limed/ If so, how long ago? I have a couple of fields that were limed 4-5 years ago and the ph has increased every year since.

dun

Stocker Steve":2cxz2pas said:
The land has never been limed but it has been fertilized. N2 will lower your PH.

Any of the chemical based fertilizer components will lower the ph. If you boost the ph you'll be surprised at how soime of the other things will change for the better.
I have an advantage of multiple years of soil tests so it's easier to see the changes.

dun

I worry more about the ph that the grass requires and just let the clover tag along but anything over 6 works ok for us. The recommended range for most of the forages run 5.6 -7.0 and red clover is 6.0-7.0, that's why we don;t worry about getting it much over 6. When the ph drops or the first year that it doesn;t show an improvment is when we lime. We had one pasture that had been neglected and it called for 3000 lbs per acre. We put on 1500 ansd when we retested 2 years later it didn;t call for any. That's why we take it easy, raising the ph frees up other soil components that affect the release of the lime neutralizing agents, which-- etc.
We curretnly only have 1 field that's below 6, but there's no way to get the lime truck or the buggy in there so we just graze it and brush hog it when we pull the cows off. It grows very good fescue and clover but orchard grass doesn;t do a thing.
Even within fields there will be a variation because of the soil type so we take multiple samples from the different parts of the field based on what is growing and how well it's growing. Since it's hard to get the exactly right amounts on any given odd section, we take the average of the entire field and apply enough of whatever, based on the worst part to bring the worst part up to the average of the entire field. Not sure if I explained that very well.

dun

Latest posts