Fall is in the air

Help Support CattleToday:

Ice, rain, up to 5" of snow tomorrow and still more through Thursday. I'll send it your way.
I dont think it needs any help but thanks anyway! Lolz.

Can dang sure use the rain and maybe even take the snow. U can keep the ice!
:cool:

Got plenty of hay out. And fresh bale of crabgrass in the barn for nibbling and bedding..
Hope the power holds. We been having heck lately. Any time mother nature farts, the power goes out!
Oge says we are scheduled for an upgrade next year.

Gonna make my stock trailer a mini barn for the calves that are penned...

was about 12F this morning here, supposed to be 50 and rainy tomorrow.. got grass to last til christmas or so, so that's nice, as long as I don't get heavy snow

We are similar to Kenny T.... Had hay making all week, in the low 80's 2 days and dry air. Made about another 15-20 acres hay. Got cloudy Friday with some peeks of sun, then cloudy Sat. Rain came in last night and temps are in the 50's and raw cold damp.....Little clearing off for a day or 2 then weather from the current tropical storm in the gulf should come up here Thursday or so. Hunting season here, bow, muzzleloader, seen tons of deer. Neighbor got a nice spike buck out of our orchard grass field next to where we just chopped the corn off of....Plenty of deer for him to get.
Colors were nice but alot of leaves coming off the trees. Don't want any of what they are getting up there at @Stocker Steve 's place!!!!!

Hehe. 30k without power in oklahoma.
I got the genny ready.
Hope we dont need it.

O. And the calves don't care for their trailer/barndominium. They seemed content all covered in ice getting fed this morning.
Sheesh

Currently 26, real feel 12 with freezing rain. I actually had a layer of ice on my coat by the time I got back from checking my calves this morning. And who knew I was still capable of executing a perfect split? Gonna feel that for a while!

Hard to tell how many of my calves are sick because all of them have droopy ears - weighted down with icicles. But I've already treated 5. And @MurraysMutts, same thing; only half of them are in the shelter. Can't remember the last time we had weather like this in October.

I cant like it! @TCRanch
Penned Calves dont seem to mind tho. Happily waiting for feed this morning.
I think they are crazy. Cows and babies KNOW where the barn is tho. Them babies were all snuggly in the hay/straw I put in there. Every now and then one would get up, run like crazy around the barnyard! Then go right back in and lay down. Lmao. Cracks me up.
Ice is accumulating pretty good. They expect widespread power outages.

I cant like it! @TCRanch
Penned Calves dont seem to mind tho. Happily waiting for feed this morning.
I think they are crazy. Cows and babies KNOW where the barn is tho. Them babies were all snuggly in the hay/straw I put in there. Every now and then one would get up, run like crazy around the barnyard! Then go right back in and lay down. Lmao. Cracks me up.
Ice is accumulating pretty good. They expect widespread power outages.
We already lost power. Just when we were getting ready to fire up the generator, it came back on. For now.

Power is down.
Fences are a sagging.
Trees are in bag shape. They still had leaves on em. Lots of poles look like they could go any minute.
I look to be out for at least a week now.
It's a LOT of ice.

Guess I'll go get the genny wired in. And fire up the saw.....
20201027_172533.jpg20201027_172517.jpg

Yup, looks the same here. It's still October, right?

Big, sweaty, muddy, fun breaking up and scooping all the ice/snow/water from the feed bunks. Followed by big, sweaty, muddy, fun getting the frozen netting off the bales. And of course I was surrounded by my cattle the entire time. Zero social distancing! Treating 2 of my weaners for pneumonia was the icing on the cake.

20201027_181542.jpg20201027_181415.jpg
Poor lil tree. It was like 10 feet tall. Lol

Calves seem to not care one way or the other. They did finally figure out the trailer ain't a bad place to be....
Out of the weather a lil

Wow - you guys can keep the snow & ice storms. Hate to even complain. We had the driest spring/summer ever. My bass pond (2.5 acres) just has a puddle at one end after getting about 3" of rain the past 2 weeks. Still see some signs of fish, but I'm sure I lost most of them. Cranes have had a feast on minnows - coons ate all the clams & snails. We spent all spr/summer hearing reports of rain, never got a sprinkle. Now they say "no chance of rain" and it drizzles ALL DAY. Can't buy a dry day. We got low 20'sF back in September. Froze all tomato plants & flowers - even tho I covered them.
Absolutely no 2nd cutting - 1st was about 2/3 normal (or less). Put c/c pairs out on 30 acres of our uncut 2nd cutting hay fields (rotational grazed). Brought them home for 1 week and weaned the calves. Then, walked them across the road to 55 acres hay field for grazing. Bought a lot of new polywire & push in fence posts!!! But, we ended up getting 10 weeks of grazing on the hayfields. They are now home and grazing pastures that came back "a little". Will be haying in a few weeks (hopefully at least a few weeks). Already contracted hay from 3 different sources. Hay is really, really short supply.

Yeah, well, I got the yuk weather right now. Yesterday started pouring/sleeting turned to snow cover overnight - with wind gusts 40-50 MPH going on right now. I'm hiding!! But, I have our sponsor kids coming soon. They want to clip a few heifers and video them tomorrow for a "virtual" jackpot show. Heifers are the ones they showed this summer. Sooo - I'll be outside when they come. They do the work, but I watch and advise when needed.

@TCRanch - that sucks!! I give Inforce 3 at birth - then they get MLV (BoviSh 5L5HB) at 3 months and again at 4 months along with OneShot Ultra 1st go around then UltraChoice 8 2nd go around. Then I don't hit them again until after they are weaned and settled in. Hit them again with BS5L5HB & OneShot. Everyone can give advice. Doesn't mean my program is any better than yours for your operation.

Yes, the sisters teamed up & clipped up the fall 2 yr old and we took some videos - but she was almost snow covered by the time we got the videos. The kids didn't want to take a chance of her calving tonight - due 11-4. We will video her again tomorrow. "Supposed" to have 40F and some sun tomorrow afternoon. They will clip up the 2nd heifer tomorrow & video her also. This family is awesome. This is the 3rd year we have worked with them. I asked them if they needed to fit (glue) them and they said no (phew - thank goodness). They would have to wash them if they put glue on them. Both sisters are in school and both are working, so getting the time to come over was tight. Rained all last Monday & Tuesday (only days for them). They still want our "guidance" as they clip, but they are doing great. REALLY REALLY hard not to pick up a pair of clippers & tidy up here and there. But, they won't learn if we do. ..... Our hands were frozen! me video-ing, Oldest sister leading & setting up.

Latest posts