Fall is in the air

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Been quite some time since we have had a real autumn season 'round here. It's usually good and hot til Halloween. Been pretty dry lately too. Light drizzle today. Grass is pretty much played out. Leaves are falling here and there. Folks wheat is coming up tho it desperately needs a drink.

Kind of nice, but at the same time, I'm already putting hay out regular.

Happy fall everyone!

In the forties here today, drizzling rain and wind. Kids and I spent half the day in the garage. Fire in the stove, playing cards, thinking about trapping season 3 wks away.

It's 60 today and raining. It's actually been a true fall here this time. Colors are pretty. I enjoy it.

O yes. It was much warmer this morning. 40s now with a good breezy north wind.

I think my favorite part is watching them baby calves get all fired up and run all over for no apparent reason!

They are all bedded down now tho.
Guess they got their tummies full.

Yup. And winter is just around the corner. Some folks have had snow already. I have the woodstove going tonight to warm up the house.
I have a feeling this is going to be a long and cold and snowy winter.
Best to all

36 here this morning in Va. Sunny lt breeze. Low 70's but I needed a sweatshirt most of the day. It is a real fall here too although alot of leaves are coming off the trees, the color has been nice. Looking for a longer colder winter here too. Got orchard grass hay on the ground, no rain til Sat, and some mixed grass hay too. The weather has been good for drying hay the last 2 weeks with no humidity. Had 3 days of drizzly rain from last hurricane that worked it's way up, ground is in pretty nice shape. Got the 15 acres of corn chopped for silage finally on Thursday. Little drier than it should be but I think it will be decent for the beef cattle.

It has been in the low 40's and upper 30's every morning. The highs have been in the 50's or 60's. A couple of frosty mornings. The frost got the tomatoes and most of the green beans. Trees are starting to lose the leaves. The cows that haven't been gathered are starting to drift down out of the hills on their own. Those who have gathered their cows have weaned the calves. It has been coat planting weather. You start off the day with a coat on. Take it off somewhere along the line. At the end of the day you have to remember where you left that dang coat.

Typical stuff here. It's supposed to be mid to upper 80's this week, then lows in the 30's with a high of 50 early next week.

1603191120848.png

The sure sign of fall here is that deer season came and went. They always have deer season in the fall. Been that way for a lot of years.

Always raining here, we bring back in the barn the bred heifers, the cows still outside in a paddock that will be plow but most of the job will be done by the cows!

37 with a rain snow mix this afternoon. Really starting to feel like fall.
Fall Hell. It is winter here. Got 4" snow today, forecasting 6+ on Thursday, and a third shot on Sunday.
Calves ran wild this morning, and then the cows came home for the first time.
Still have some standing forage out there... Will have to wait and see if we get a thaw.

Fall Hell. It is winter here. Got 4" snow today, forecasting 6+ on Thursday, and a third shot on Sunday.
Calves ran wild this morning, and then the cows came home for the first time.
Still have some standing forage out there... Will have to wait and see if we get a thaw.
Have some relatives that live at Winthrop,MN. Dad talked to them last night. Sounded pretty White up there. It will be a long winter if it sticks around already.

Hard freeze a comin' this weekend. They say snow is possible monday?!?! O my!
Hi of 35 low of like 24.
Thatll finish off the grass
I know, it's crazy! And 84 predicted for the high today, mid 50's tomorrow before shyt hits the fan. I try to hold off putting out bales until November but looks like not only bales, but bedding.

Here on Sunday the low is predicted to be 14. If we end up elk hunting that morning it will be a bit chilly standing on the ridge, especially if the wind is blowing.

Latest posts