Fall garden

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig-TX

Reaction score
Came in to cool off for a minute. Been on the end of a grubbing hoe and a tiller for too long now. Should have everything in by dusk. What is everybody else around the country doing with their fall garden?

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":3rvc0pgn said:
What is everybody else around the country doing with their fall garden?
I let the little woman take care of the woman's work, Craig! You want me to ask her?

Texan":12iakj2i said:
Craig-TX":12iakj2i said:
I let the little woman take care of the woman's work, Craig! You want me to ask her?

Ouch. Wouldn't have been able to read your response except that I'm hiding right now. Came in the house to get something. Can't remember what now. Check you later, I've got to hustle back out there before...

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":vr6wee4c said:
Texan":vr6wee4c said:
Craig-TX":vr6wee4c said:

Ouch. Wouldn't have been able to read your response except that I'm hiding right now. Came in the house to get something. Can't remember what now. Check you later, I've got to hustle back out there before...

Craig-TX

Craig don't let him fool you I know who is running that spread and if she ever reads that post, we will have to put the pieces of Tex back together.
Probably look like an explosion in a steel wool factory.

Texan":2z0mihny said:

Texan

I think by the time next weekend is over some of us will know who the boss is in your house.

Craig-TX":1mpwkan6 said:
Came in to cool off for a minute. Been on the end of a grubbing hoe and a tiller for too long now. Should have everything in by dusk. What is everybody else around the country doing with their fall garden?

Craig-TX

Ignoring it!

dun

Still have a row of late sweet potatoes left to go......
Maybe plant a few greens later on this fall. Nothing like a plate of greens with some bacon stirred in for flavor and a nice slice of hot cornbread.
"We" use the raised bed method, well for the last 5 or so years. The tiller is almost ready to retire. We use it to till between the rows in the spring then switch over to the lawnmower or weed eater in the summer months.
Then, the chickens have it from January to March. Its amazing how well they can get the grass,weeds cleaned up.
May your greens always be bug free

Shepard":1dzk95uw said:
Still have a row of late sweet potatoes left to go......
Maybe plant a few greens later on this fall. Nothing like a plate of greens with some bacon stirred in for flavor and a nice slice of hot cornbread.
"We" use the raised bed method, well for the last 5 or so years. The tiller is almost ready to retire. We use it to till between the rows in the spring then switch over to the lawnmower or weed eater in the summer months.
Then, the chickens have it from January to March. Its amazing how well they can get the grass,weeds cleaned up.
May your greens always be bug free

You bet! Some greens with bacon drippings and cornbread on the side. Don't forget the beans that were fixed with a loosley trimed ham bone. I shot a limit of doves this evening. They should do fine with all that.

Craig-TX

You can always tell its Dove hunting season around here by the sounds of shotguns going off like firecrackers at the Fourth of July BBQ.
Tend to favor squirrel this time of the year. Don't know why. Just raised that way I guess. Probably it was because many years ago, it was either a chicken from the yard or some wild critter Dad had brought home and said it would taste "just like chicken". This is called a flash back.
Watch out for those little "shots" left in the bird.

Shepard":jembfgye said:
You can always tell its Dove hunting season around here by the sounds of shotguns going off like firecrackers at the Fourth of July BBQ.
Tend to favor squirrel this time of the year. Don't know why. Just raised that way I guess. Probably it was because many years ago, it was either a chicken from the yard or some wild critter Dad had brought home and said it would taste "just like chicken". This is called a flash back.
Watch out for those little "shots" left in the bird.

Boy you got the squirrel hunting right season opens in two weeks.

Actually, we done one of those pre-emt strikes just the other day. Appeared "they" were after my pears.
Maybe we will last another 2 weeks or so for the next supper of wild critters.
Since its Sunday, "fried chicken(12 wks.old)", white gravy,home made biscuits,greens,corn on the cob and some ice tea. Have to watch my diet these days. Those pounds seem to come quickly and move out slowly.
Need to go supervise the gravy and biscuits. As they say, "no job worth doing unless its supervise"

Shepard":z87d3yu9 said:
Actually, we done one of those pre-emt strikes just the other day. Appeared "they" were after my pears.
Maybe we will last another 2 weeks or so for the next supper of wild critters.
Since its Sunday, "fried chicken(12 wks.old)", white gravy,home made biscuits,greens,corn on the cob and some ice tea. Have to watch my diet these days. Those pounds seem to come quickly and move out slowly.
Need to go supervise the gravy and biscuits. As they say, "no job worth doing unless its supervise"

Once again, you made me hungry. Amen and amen to the gravy. Gravy is not just another condiment. It's an art form. When it comes to white gravy I prefer '90 weight.' It ain't gravy unless you can eat it with a fork. The thicker the better.

Craig-TX

As the Man use to say, "If you really won't to do something, you will find the time".
Speaking of time, just finish butchering up 7 pullet size chickens. I can see those pounds coming already.
May you always have time for a chicken dinner. :D

TheBullLady":1jcs3ood said:
Craig.. sorry, I was being funny. All the talk of a cold winter..

I halfway figured that was what you were up to. I'd be inclined to call for a cold winter after the kind of summer we've had, but last summer was pretty mild and the drought finally broke. Everybody (self included) was expecting a pretty tough winter and we hardly got a killing frost. I don't understand the weather any more.

Craig-TX

Shepard":z0siza2l said:
Oh my, :oops: I to was just making humor. Ah, the printed word.

After observing many winters, and summers for that matter, I've discovered that the only thing that is "normal" is that there isn't anything consistant from year to year. Normal pretty much means it won't be like any other.

dun

Depending on where you are from, "average" can be more normal than
the exception.
Here here on from year to year.
May your pastures always be weed free.