Fall "Frost" Seeding Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We have had poor results from spring frost seeding clover the last couple years. In part, we have had mild and early springs with very little frost... So I blame most of the problem on global warming!

This year I plan to try "frost" seeding clover in the fall. Any experience with this, or tips on maximum soil temp to be sure the seed does not sprout until spring?

I don;t understand the "spring" frost seeding. Depending on when you would normally get your last hard freeze, about 2 months before that is the best time to frost seed. There has to be moisture enough in the soil that the soil will heave and warm enough days that the frozen heaving will thaw some.
We're considerably south of you and our best frost seeding is in mid to late January.
I would think that as soon as you start getting freezing nights and highs only into the 30-40s that you could try it in the fall.

The standard method here is to broadcast in the spring when you still have partial snow cover to help see where the seed lands. But in recent years we only get a week or so of freeze then thaw weather after that date. I think this is part of the reason for a poor clover stand.

If you broadcast it earlier it all goes into a snow drift and I would expect much of the seed would wash away if there is a rapid thaw.

Hadn;t considered the snow issue. I like to broadcast it when there's an inch or 2 of snow becuase it generally only lasts a day or 2 so the seed doesn;t wash. Another of the regional differences type of deals.

Are all your other variables good Steve? No thatch, very short stubble, soil fertility....

Folks around here will drill a lot of wheat on largely frozen ground.

Wait until some surface thaw, and drill until it starts to freeze again at night. ( Drill will start to rattle ).

I was thinking of trying it with clover pasture mix this spring.