Fall Flowers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Most probably know what this one is

IMG_3902.jpg

and this one

IMG_3901.jpg

but does anyone know what this one is? Found this on the edge of a whale waller.

IMG_3854.jpg

HerefordSire":1ylp7ax5 said:
Is the last one a tiger lilly?

I was thinking the same thing but it just didn't look right. Spent some time with a key and found it to be a beaded pine lilly. First one I've ever seen but given it was named appropriately. Discovered by Mark Catesby and english pioeer naturalist. Its found in only 14 counties in our state. Thank heaven's its not protected.

kenny thomas":1ylp7ax5 said:
Don't know anything about flowers, but what is a whale waller? :?:

Kenny its what we call an isolated wetland here. Just depressions in the ground with no water feed in or out of them. Some say, we used to be under the ocean here and some say these wallers were caused by whales. Others say its from meteorite hits. If you look at my area from a satallite you will see the little pock marks all over the place. Almost like a moonscape. But when you find seashells in your fields its not hard to see how they came up with the name. I don't know what caused them but I prefer to call them wallers rather than meteor strikes. More pleasant sounding if you know what I mean.

Interesting to me. If you had said meteor holes I would not have looked twice.
Are the first two cotton blooms? Just guessing, have no idea.

To me, the one looks like a hibiscus and the second a gardenia. Can't say I've seen a pink one before.

Both are cotton. Cotton is in the malvaceae family which includes hibiscus, mallow, okra and several others. Pretty flowers.

Jogee- I am slow. I did not catch on to whale wallers, until you explained. whale wallers equals whale wallows. I had visions of specialized walls built to prevent whale movement either in or out. Now I can understand what you are writing about, not that I have ever seen one but I do know about hog wallows. :)

1982vett":319gct8n said:
Guess I flunked the test. :lol:

Hey, you done pretty good with the hibisicus releationship

Jalopy":319gct8n said:
Jogee- I am slow. I did not catch on to whale wallers, until you explained. whale wallers equals whale wallows. I had visions of specialized walls built to prevent whale movement either in or out. Now I can understand what you are writing about, not that I have ever seen one but I do know about hog wallows. :)

I was using hooked on fonix to spell it. You drag the eeerrrrr around here otherwise people won't know what you are talking about. :oops: :lol2:

Dang! I was going to guess okra on the first 2 and spider lily on the last--I'm usually better than that.(chemo!!!I blame chemo) :D :D

peg4x4":gfjhij3x said:
Dang! I was going to guess okra on the first 2 and spider lily on the last--I'm usually better than that.(chemo!!!I blame chemo) :D :D
Hey you can only use that so long.... :p

I did get the whale waller thing, just didn't know why you would call them whale waller instead of how wallers till you explained you used to live under water. :p We used to be beachfront also but it was so long ago the only signs of that are in the slabs of rock we plow up every now and then.

jedstivers":140byxn2 said:
Jogeephus":140byxn2 said:
Both are cotton. Cotton is in the malvaceae family which includes hibiscus, mallow, okra and several others. Pretty flowers.
I thought you'd let our northern (and it seems Texas :lol2: ) friends go a little longer.

Jed..he could have kept me hanging forever. A cotton field is something to drive by and say "man that's beautiful". :lol2: