Fall Feeder Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
sstterry said:
I think that the inverted yield curve and the 800pt drop in the stock market today may have some impact. We are headed toward a recession.

Yup, the inverted yield curve is never wrong, at SOME point in the future AFTER the inversion we have a recession.
That is my understanding. It may be two years or it may be two months but it is coming.

We've been a long time without one. Natural part of the economic cycle. Whether it'll be mild or severe remains to be seen.

Good topic.
Sitting here running out of hay, pastures are bare, remaining hay doesn't have the nutritional value we expected.
Weaned some calves early to help the old cull cows.
Next special feeder sale is September 11th. Not another until November. Haven't gotten a market report from our local market since July. Starting to wonder if the market has tanked and that's why they haven't released a report.
Was thinking about holding onto the smaller feeders (300#-400# heifers) for a few more months but after reading this post i'm thinking it won't even pay for the extra feed to hold them......... Making me sick thinking the market is going to drop after all the extra expenses this year.
Thanks everyone for the information. Will be watching this post for more info. Hoping to check out the market this Wednesday myself and see what the best move is.

Double R Ranch said:
Good topic.
Sitting here running out of hay, pastures are bare, remaining hay doesn't have the nutritional value we expected.
Weaned some calves early to help the old cull cows.
Next special feeder sale is September 11th. Not another until November. Haven't gotten a market report from our local market since July. Starting to wonder if the market has tanked and that's why they haven't released a report.
Was thinking about holding onto the smaller feeders (300#-400# heifers) for a few more months but after reading this post i'm thinking it won't even pay for the extra feed to hold them......... Making me sick thinking the market is going to drop after all the extra expenses this year.
Thanks everyone for the information. Will be watching this post for more info. Hoping to check out the market this Wednesday myself and see what the best move is.

My thoughts to your position are this. Unless you are prepared to feed your cattle to gain you are losing money every day you keep them. Every day a calf doesn't gain enough weight to cover the feed bill is a day wasted. Better to take the first loss, circle the wagons and buy in again when feed conditions favor it.
Free advice is just that, you get what ya pay for. :)

gcreekrch said:
My thoughts to your position are this. Unless you are prepared to feed your cattle to gain you are losing money every day you keep them. Every day a calf doesn't gain enough weight to cover the feed bill is a day wasted. Better to take the first loss, circle the wagons and buy in again when feed conditions favor it.
Free advice is just that, you get what ya pay for. :)

I agree and appreciate the input. That's what were leaning towards at this point. Going to loose our bums on the older open cull cows as it is.
At the calves current rate of gain it will take green grass season at this point when the nutrition is the highest to really pour the pounds on the smaller cattle. Times like this we sure wish we could irrigate. But at 2# a day ADG on the heifers without grain currently were thinking they need to be shipped. Don't think its penciling out to grain them with the prices what they are looking to be.
Thanks again for the input! Every bit helps towards making decisions.
Going to go Wednesday and talk to our usual buyers and see if they are wanting them this "small". September 11th special feeder sale is looking like our sale day at this point.

Cows are gaining weight here. We still have surplus grass but that will end soon. Then moving onto one cut and then graze hay fields. Need to consider fence line feeding some by product this fall to continue good gains and conserve hay. Hay is up $5 to $10 / bale so far.

Hard to see how feeder prices will go up much in 2019-2020. Feed cost is up, tariffs are up, cow herd size is still high, and economy is weakening. Time for some hard cull'in. :cowboy: Updated my cull list tonight. Got 40 that I will not miss. Question is how many cheap heifers to retain...

Only cow/calf upside here is an early frost that will turn us into a corn silage nation.