Fall Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
What is the best fall calving month? I am going to breed some animals, but I dont know when to put the bull in with them.

Thanks any help is appreciated

Except for the availability of grazing new grass, fall calving is subject to the same decision process as spring calving. If you'll calve inside and have adequate high quality forage about any month would work. If you're going to calve outside, the earlier in the fall the better, less concern with some really ugly weather interfering. What time frame is the slackest in regards to toher commitments. Then too, it dependson what you consider fall.
We'll be goign to a small scale fall calving next year and we're shooting for october. Some folks calve in September but it's generally still too hot around here then. I also new bron calves hopping aorund in decmeber and january. That may not be too cold for the calves but it's definitly too cold for me to possibly have a problem and go out in that kind of weather. I'm just your basic sissy when it comes to cold

Depending on your zone...September to October

Starting November 21st or later

We calve in the fall starting September 1st and the tail enders usually go toward the end of October. If I could pick a smaller window it would be mid Sept. to mid Oct. at least in my neck of the woods.

If I had my rathers every cow would drop the 1st of October. But our pasture situation and a couple other factors dictate we don't start until early November. December/January calves don't bother me a bit, but it rarely gets below zero here.

cfpinz

I would say put the bull in with them around January. Fall calves around here do best in October.

Latest posts