Fall Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I like them they all look good to me. I think my favorite is the 011 calf at this point but they are all very nice. How are the calves out of that new herd bull looking? I really like him a bunch and look forward to seeing what he does for you.

Ken,
Yes Deer Valley Growth Fund. Pretty hair, will moderate most 5.5 to 6.5 Frame Cows.

The Niagara's are rougher haired, but neutral on frame.

The Fates probably have a touch more performance than either Growth Fund or Niagara. (only had 3 fates to compare and 2 were out of heifers) The 011 is out of the Wake up Call Pathfinder cow, so plenty of growth with her. I just hope it isnt too much growth.

024 is probably my favorite phenotypically, followed by 007, 011,006 all pretty close to me even if their are some differences in type. 005 is a really good heifer especially out of a 2 yr old. but not quite as good as the others.

Gizmom, The only problem with Anvil is our AI tech has done too of a job with AI first 2 years. Had 4 calves last fall, only had 7 calves this fall. I put him out with 19 head of natural service cows before turning the older bull in with them. Currently Anvil is running with 11 heifers after AI, will be with those til March 20th. He doesnt have the growth/frame of the older bull, but probably in a prettier package. Should Marble better, his first steers will go out this month to harvest.
Here is a bull calf out of Anvil and a 2 yr old. Pretty but he probably wont wow you on weaning day.

I like your calves. I wish the Niagara females would have worked better here but man did the steers ever do well in the feedlot. It tells me that the very high growth bulls are more than I want.

they bred up poorly as yearlings and they are not as feminine as I prefer. My oldest daughters are now coming 4 and once they are in the herd they have stayed so far. His hp epd is fairly accurate according to my results. I do not supplement my yearlings on grass just salt and mineral.

I feed cattle but I think the environment limit on performance needs to be noted.

Last edited:
jeanne,
i understand about the size deal. 005 isnt really behind the others but her dam is too small for me so i am really watching her on frame (probably looking too hard for it)

wb,
used alot of bulls with niagara s hp. found in our situation that the hp epd not accurate on the other bulls, will keep an eye on it with the niagaras. thanks

I had 3 heifer crops with his daughters and it was pretty much the same each year. My select rep alluded to it as well. In a better environment they likely won't be as big of a concern. In the future I know I won't be selecting for as much growth as he has. Feed costs are rising by the minute and I prefer critters that need less corn to get to the finish line.