Fall 2020 breeding, what AI sires are you using?

Help Support CattleToday:

ita47

Reaction score
What is your breed and what bulls are you planning to use this fall?

I've been going through deciding what bulls I will be using this fall. I run a Registered Gelbvieh, Balancer, Angus herd. I also have a few commercial Gelbvieh cows.

For my registered cows:
Lacy Centerpoint 448 025F (R. Angus)
SAV Rainfall 6846 (Angus)
SS Niagara Z29 (Angus)
JRI Next Step 285X72 (Gelbvieh)
SBSF Bee Lick Granite Yale (Gelbvieh)

For my commercial cows:
Behm 100W Cuda 504C (Hereford)

I'm running pretty low on Gelbvieh semen so I will be using more Angus this year. I'm using Cuda on my commercials to get some baldies.

Last edited:
I'm still not positive but will probably use Mohican Bar Star Revved up on my hereford heifers.

Plan on breeding the registered simmys to TJ Gold or Hooks Frontline. Really liking the frontline heifer I have right now.

Probably will breed the commercial Angus and crossbred cows to True North or MVP.

Commercial cows:
Rainfall
Hoover Dam
S Chisum 255

Have a few CCR Boulder on standby, but do not plan to use any this fall. I may get a wild hair and throw a few in the mix just to see how he does.

I have JRI Trade Secret on my list to purchase for next year. Good looking bull, I will be curious how his calves perform and if his EPD's will change.

I actually own Possession of the bull so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I have recently been talking to Roger at Cattlemans' Connection about Trade Secret. I didn't have a big enough order this year to justify the shipping so I decided to wait until next year to order my Gelbvieh semen. I would like to see pictures of his calves and any updates on him. So do you have a Reg. Gelbvieh?

I have recently been talking to Roger at Cattlemans' Connection about Trade Secret. I didn't have a big enough order this year to justify the shipping so I decided to wait until next year to order my Gelbvieh semen. I would like to see pictures of his calves and any updates on him. So do you have a Reg. Gelbvieh?
I do have a small registered herd, about 30 head. I'll have some calves come spring, so I can let you know.
The bull has held up well so far on not great pasture, with no pampering.

Finally decided on what to use this year. we are only introducing one new bull in the mix, if that tells you what we think of the calves so far this year..

Sydgen KCF Gavel
SS Niagara
DVF Growth Fund
Sydgen Black Diamond

(few straws of)
Sydgen Fate
Sydgen Wake Up Call

SouthernUltraBlack has great looking cattle!

I breed Simmental. I will be using left over semen from spring breeding for my group of about 12 for falls:
Executive Order
20-20
reds:
Mack AF
Pendleton
Red Answer

Finally decided on what to use this year. we are only introducing one new bull in the mix, if that tells you what we think of the calves so far this year..

Sydgen KCF Gavel
SS Niagara
DVF Growth Fund
Sydgen Black Diamond

(few straws of)
Sydgen Fate
Sydgen Wake Up Call
Are you liking the growth fund calves you have?

Too soon to tell with any confidence, they are less than a month old. They were born with some size/width to them, but nothing that scares me about using him on heifers again.

Short version, yes I like them so far, but wont know for sure for awhile.

Would use him next spring but woodhill patent has been catching my eye. Also been on the fence on wether or not if I would use gavel

Black Angus. The only new bull this fall is SydGen Shape. Everything else we have been using.

Connealy Dry Valley
SydGen Shape
KM Broken Bow 002
S A V Rainfall 6846

I like Shape. Short story about him.. we were in the market for a bull the year shape sold, talking to the Ben ,the manager, the night before the sale. He said no one was asking about Shape and he thought he was a really good bull.. Well we thought he really good too. We bid on him... once.
he quickly got out of our price range..

Thanks for sharing that story. He would have been an awesome bull to pick up! He wasn't on our radar but we ended up getting a credit with Krebs and didn't need a bull at the time. So we ended up using it on semen instead and split it between Synergy and Shape.

Since you were interested in Shape at SydGen, did you end up using him AI? I don't feel he is getting much use outside of Krebs.

used a ton of trust and connection, so shape is the combo of these. used shape's sire (fate) last year. not alot of holes to plug him in on. breed so few cows trying to keep it to 4 bulls or so..

used a ton of trust and connection, so shape is the combo of these. used shape's sire (fate) last year. not alot of holes to plug him in on. breed so few cows trying to keep it to 4 bulls or so..
Makes sense. I assume you have gotten along good with all three of them? Any favorite?

Latest posts