Fake News Locally

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
This is nothing serious, but with all the comments about fake news, it's not difficult to believe when I see exaggeration locally.

We recently had a front page story in our local paper about a guy who moved here from TX. There is a picture of him sitting on a horse with a hat on. The picture is taken from a ground up angle, and it looks like it should be on a movie poster.

The article tells of how he was an oilman in TX and a rodeo man. He Was planning to participate in our county fair rodeo at the time of the article.

I happen to know of this guy, and he lives on around 5 acres, and his home looks like a cross between Green Acres and Sanford and Son, but a little worse. There is junk piled everywhere, and he never mows his lawn. There are iron weeds everywhere.

I know some people who work with him, and his nickname is "stinky" because he apparently doesn't hit the shower that often.

The article also states that he is a farmer. All I've ever seen is a cow and a horse tied to a pole at his house.

I spoke with someone who attended the fair, and although they didn't go into detail, they laughed and said his performance was a joke.

I'm just saying that if I had read the article with no other knowledge, I would have been impressed; however, because I have more information, I'm just scratching my head in bewilderment.

I'm sure this is done on all levels of news.

And now you understand why the world thinks commercial fishing, bottom trawling in particular, is so destructive to the ocean. FAKE NEWS. Whoever coined the phrase "Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see" knew what they were talking about.

D2Cat":1z2q8s6d said:
You have to keep in mind, news use to be to inform...now it is to influence.

It is all entertainment. Even Fox News. They can take a 5 minute story and run it all day by analyzing it 10 ways from Sunday.

zirlottkim":2l9jyg3x said:
And now you understand why the world thinks commercial fishing, bottom trawling in particular, is so destructive to the ocean. FAKE NEWS. Whoever coined the phrase "Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see" knew what they were talking about.

My grandfather told me that phrase in Port Canaveral in the 60's, a fishermen was ballyhooing about his catch.
My son should be paddling by your place on Saturday. He's in Apalachicola heading your way tomorrow for the Louisiana opening July 1st.

Imho. Always best refuse being interviewed by a local newspaper. You don't have control over whatever spin they choose to put on something. You also can't control public reaction. Bigfoot refused comment will sometimes die out faster, than what Bigfoot said.

Years ago I called in to a radio station and won a weekend get away prize.
Did a short off air interview and I tried to give them nothing usable, smart alec replies such as "It's the only station
that comes in on my car." Next week they chopped and spliced my comments to make a promo as if I was their biggest fan... :)

True Grit Farms":3ok1gaow said:
zirlottkim":3ok1gaow said:

My grandfather told me that phrase in Port Canaveral in the 60's, a fishermen was ballyhooing about his catch.
My son should be paddling by your place on Saturday. He's in Apalachicola heading your way tomorrow for the Louisiana opening July 1st.
Still sloppy here. South wind, guessing 25 or better. High water still all over the docks.

D2Cat":2uhrss6v said:
You have to keep in mind, news use to be to inform...now it is to influence.

Start reading history. News has always been used to influence. The "Good Ole Days" weren't so Good as we all like to believe. Time really washes the shyte off the shoes, so to speak.

Bestoutwest":31pl12iu said:
The "Good Ole Days" weren't so Good as we all like to believe.
Yup, nothing new under the sun. Men have always spun facts or omitted some to put themselves in the best light.
The nature of man is the same as it was thousands of years ago.

Bigfoot":rq4mpbcf said:
Imho. Always best refuse being interviewed by a local newspaper. You don't have control over whatever spin they choose to put on something. You also can't control public reaction. Bigfoot refused comment will sometimes die out faster, than what Bigfoot said.

If they get a photo of Bigfoot even a "No comment" will be big news.

Rafter S":1p5svshi said:
Bright Raven":1p5svshi said:
Wonder why the phonies all say their from Texas?

He was either lying, or got run out of Texas.

I've wondered that myself. Not that it has anything specifically to do with TX, but we have people move here from all over and live in dumps and have peculiar lifestyles, and I often wonder why they moved here.

Do t get me wrong, this guy and his family have done nothing wrong, and they are friendly enough, but I can't help but wonder why they are here.

I don't know about how "move ins" are everywhere else, but when people move here with little more than a shirt on their back, they seem to have a grand story from their past.

As I mentioned, this guy was supposedly an oil man and rodeo guy in TX. Of course, that may mean he carried water to the workers in Oil and rodeo, but that's not the impression he likes to give.

I wonder why he moved here to live in a dump and not bathe. I wonder if his living conditions are better or worse here. I can't imagine living in a bigger dump in TX. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't in his best interest to leave TX because of something shady.

herofan":58nnowyb said:
Rafter S":58nnowyb said:
Bright Raven":58nnowyb said:
Wonder why the phonies all say their from Texas?

He was either lying, or got run out of Texas.

I've wondered that myself. Not that it has anything specifically to do with TX, but we have people move here from all over and live in dumps and have peculiar lifestyles, and I often wonder why they moved here.

Do t get me wrong, this guy and his family have done nothing wrong, and they are friendly enough, but I can't help but wonder why they are here.

I don't know about how "move ins" are everywhere else, but when people move here with little more than a shirt on their back, they seem to have a grand story from their past.

As I mentioned, this guy was supposedly an oil man and rodeo guy in TX. Of course, that may mean he carried water to the workers in Oil and rodeo, but that's not the impression he likes to give.

I wonder why he moved here to live in a dump and not bathe. I wonder if his living conditions are better or worse here. I can't imagine living in a bigger dump in TX. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't in his best interest to leave TX because of something shady.

We got one just down the road here on Crockett Lane. Seems like a nice guy. He has stopped a couple times. Says he is a minister from Texas.

Bright Raven":3hvbzftg said:
We got one just down the road here on Crockett Lane. Seems like a nice guy. He has stopped a couple times. Says he is a minister from Texas.

You might be wise not to loan him any money because he might be one of those preacher types who fully believes in that forgiving him of his debts verse.

Jogeephus":27t4owet said:
Bright Raven":27t4owet said:

You might be wise not to loan him any money because he might be one of those preacher types who fully believes in that forgiving him of his debts verse.

Lol. Don't worry. I been around preachers. In fact, got a couple in the family. I know all about them.

Latest posts