Fairs

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
The Tulsa State Fair had an animal birthing center next to the petting zoo where you could observe pregnant pigs, goats, and sheep giving or about to give birth. Is this common at fairs in other areas?

My favorite food at the fair was the ribeye steak sandwich made by the Oklahoma Cattlemens Association.

They have also had it for at least two years at Hutchinson for the Kansas State Fair. They also have a life size butter sculpture. A brand new cow barn and show arena that is air conditioned doesn't hurt either.

I've never seen that before.. unless it's new this year. I would think they'd run out of pregnant animals to have on display.

I'll have to check tomorrow at the Heart of Texas fair!

Every time I went in there( which was often, my kids love it) something was farrowing,lambing, or calving.Bloody as a war zone. They actually did keep it real clean.

I helped build a showcase for the entrance hall of the Tulsa Livestock Arena where the products exhibitors set up. This was for displaying pictures of livestock show winners. I believe it was a $3600 project, three pieces assembled into one nice unit about 8' tall and 9 or 10' wide.

Houston LS&R has chicken eggs that are in different stages & you can see the chicks hatching.

They have a bunch of great exhibits at HL&R but you must not have been there last year. They had fake chicks because of the disease outbeak in birs they were afraid people would protest if they put live chicks on display.

txshowmom":3rhp8uff said:
They have a bunch of great exhibits at HL&R but you must not have been there last year. They had fake chicks because of the disease outbeak in birs they were afraid people would protest if they put live chicks on display.

yes, i saw the fake eggs & chicks last year. i don't think it was because they were afraid of a protest. there were serious restrictions on moving poultry because of the outbreaks in some of the Texas counties at that time.

txshowmom":37ngu1e6 said:
When I asked them that the reason they gave me.

well you were told a different reason than we were. either way, w/o an outbreak this year, they'll probably have the live demonstration back again.

Sure hope so. Most of the kids were NOT impressed with plastic chicks. I can remember in years past it was hard to get up to the display to see the chicks hatching because there was always a crowd. Last year I never saw one person stop and look.

txshowmom":1ibmw407 said:
Sure hope so. Most of the kids were NOT impressed with plastic chicks. I can remember in years past it was hard to get up to the display to see the chicks hatching because there was always a crowd. Last year I never saw one person stop and look.

you're right. after the real thing, the fake ones were kind of a let-down. it's a good display & not something even some farm kids get to see very often.