"fair trade law" and milk ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
"fair trade law" and milk ????
Just another example of the rule that if the government uses the word FAIR you can be sure fair is far from the truth.
SL

Louisiana stops sale of cheap milk at market
Published January 27, 2013
FoxNews.com
A Louisiana supermarket was forced to yank its low-cost milk special after state auditors objected to the price.
Fresh Markets in Perkins Rowe was selling milk for $2.99 a gallon as part of a weekly promotion deal, but Louisiana requires that retailer markups be at least 6 percent above invoice and shipping costs, The Advocate reports.
State Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner Mike Strain said Fresh Market violated state regulations by selling milk below cost as part of a promotion.
The supermarket routinely sells a gallon of skim, 1 percent, 2 percent or whole milk for $2.99 on Tuesdays, limiting the quantity to four per customer, according to The Advocate.
"They can sell it 6 percent over cost all day long. It's when they sell it below cost that it becomes a problem," Strain told the paper.
Strain's office reportedly sent an auditor to the store to investigate the Fresh Market promotional deal after getting a complaint.
During the second week of January, the price for a gallon of whole milk in Baton Rouge ranged from $4 to $6.89.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/27/lo ... z2JCXfjeFK

At first glance it does seem assinine, and I would not argue otherwise. But, when the government subsidizes, it comes with a price, that price being the government can regulate the price to be "fair". I think this issue was "settled" back in the early 40's, when a wheat farmer tried to grow a plot for personal use. The federal government has overstepped, and that is our fault, and our grandparents, etc.

Not new at all SL. I think even WalMart got slapped with this one years ago. "Predatory Practices". "I'll lose money on mine rather than allow you to sell at all".