Fair Tax

Help Support CattleToday:

john250":3p1orx5l said:
gimpyrancher":3p1orx5l said:
john250":3p1orx5l said:
Be careful with this. By the time tax reform becomes reality we'll have a sales tax and only a little break on income taxes. Income taxes have to be "eliminated". The IRS disbanded and the Constitution amended before I will accept a Federal sales tax. I have heard about 20% floated as a trial. What will that add to a car? A refrigerator?

Perhaps more importantly, how much would it add to the price of yachts, luxury cars and jets? Would it also be applied to mansions? Perhaps also stocks? Come on, let's be equal. :lol:

A few years ago "they" put a luxury tax on yachts. Yacht builders shut down and laid off many "average joe" workers. Who builds mansions? Guys swinging hammers. You cannot "punish the rich" without hurting everyone else. And that makes me as sad as anyone. I would personally tax Warren Buffet 100% on his dividends just for being an enabler for the guy who wants to raise MY taxes. It is a shame that he had to hire an army of accountants and lawyers to preserve his right to give his estate away tax free. His children will pay less than a guy who inherits 20 acres.
Keep the rich spending, even if it is for "bling". Firearms, whatever. It all bubbles through the economy. Some guy buys a jet, some machinist has a good job.

Good post, John. I'm no fan of the rich but I don't resent them either. Like it or not, lot's of jobs are created by wealthy people, whether from the things they buy or the businesses they own. Some folks will never understand that.

That's like the BS washington is always spouting about taxing corperations. They don't pay taxes they collect them from their consumer's.

I agree with the priciple the more you spend the more you pay.
If it is sales tax based everyone pay's no freeloaders.

Now the hog's we are feeding at the trough ain't going to like this as it messes with there pocket through the lobbiest.
I have mixed emotion's on this as it is cheaper to keep a fat hog fat than fatten up a skinny hog. If this passes there is going to be a lot of rooting at the trough to find out who is the tallest hog.

There is a lot of income that is not declared. Most contractors that I have dealt with have a cash price and a check price. Wonder why? With a national sales tax everybody (dope dealers, pimps illegals foreign nationals, like at the UN headquarters) pays at the same rate if they buy anything. Another thing, corporations and business' don't pay taxes, the ultimate consumer pays taxes for him. Like Big Oil, it's the guy at the pump that pays those taxes.

we could have a flat tax and a fair tax so that way we tax everyone.
heck we could skip all that and let the government handle it all and we could just get a government allotment.

and a pony i want the government to buy me a pony
no i demand it and if i don't get it i'll show them :lol:

wv mud river":2buxwrnk said:
would a fair tax hurt the economy? people may slow down on buying things.

Are you kidding? Most of us can't afford to buy any extras now. That is due to tax cuts over the last 40 years. As for hurting the economy? NOT! It's not like the trickle down effect that never makes it past the rich. For the poorest, it'd mean more money going home. Fewer government programs that cost 3 dollars to put a dollar in the taxpayers pocket. Far fewer would need help.
:2cents:

cross_7":4ey161fr said:
we could have a flat tax and a fair tax so that way we tax everyone.
heck we could skip all that and let the government handle it all and we could just get a government allotment.

and a pony i want the government to buy me a pony
no i demand it and if i don't get it i'll show them :lol:

:lol2: I want a cell phone like promised. I need to get one cause its in the constitution. Giving some thought on the pony. Hadn't thought about that yet. Whose gotta buy the feed for it? Me or will they give me free food for it. If so, I want a bunch of ponies and maybe an emu or three. And a giraffe. And some camels for Christmas.

> There is a lot of income that is not declared.

Most of that is by corporations that enjoy special tax treatment.

> Most contractors that I have dealt with have a cash price and a check price. Wonder why?

2 answers; 1) They are operating illegally. 2) They are not the top 2% of income earners. Therefore they pay far too much in taxes. A fair Tax would mean fewer people needing to find ways around them.

> With a national sales tax everybody (dope dealers, pimps illegals foreign nationals, like at the UN headquarters) pays at the same rate if they buy anything.

Of course we don't want to forget the Billions they won't be paying taxes on. Isn't that what we already have?

> Another thing, corporations and business' don't pay taxes, the ultimate consumer pays taxes for him. Like Big Oil, it's the guy at the pump that pays those taxes.

Right. Let's feel sorry for the poor schlub buying his gas at the pump but allow the corporations to make billions in profits per quarter and hiding a lot of it outside our borders. I'm sure those that are struggling to pay for the gas appreciate your concern for the poor misunderstood oil companies. Know what I mean?

highgrit,

> Well I think it's B.S. to tax folks that are willing to work, while the deadbeats pay nothing.

Deadbeats? Do you mean the people working for minimum wage or those that don't work?

> Lots of folks work by the hour, if your willing to work more than 40 hrs per week why should you have to pay taxes on time and a half, or double time.

Taxing at a flat rate seems more equal and fair.

> Our country penalizes the folks that are doing the actual work, and gives tax breaks and wright-offs to the owners.

No argument. That is because the rich have amassed so much wealth they can buy politicians to give them tax breaks.

> Look how many dumbocrates had tax troubles trying to get to be cabinet members in 2008. Sure makes me wonder just how many didn't get caught.

Please share the difference between the Ds and the Rs. Neither one represents the people anymore. Both represent parties. Both of them took one of the top rated country's after 1945 and since has turned us into a welfare country with ultra rich people at the top owning and running everything. Look at their bank accounts, they won. Look at what they've left behind, not so good. Giving out only what they feel others are entitled to. Seems to me, that is why we started killing off the english and stole this land from the indians, isn't it. :wave:

gimpyrancher":6o6x6al4 said:
Please share the difference between the Ds and the Rs. Neither one represents the people anymore.

Good point. I just hope the nation is beginning to wake up but the promise of a free cell phone is pretty enticing to many.

We are the dumbest people on earth. Only about 20% of the people vote. How do 80% of the people allow this to happen. Just once I'd love to see the majority vote. We'd likely have Mickey Mouse in the white house but that wouldn't be any worse than what we've had over the last 35 years. Both party's know that if you keep offering us a choice between horse crap and cow crap, most of us won't vote any longer. We've had so much crap in that white house it's amazing tulips don't grow out of each window. :cry2:

I think you have answered your own question. Crap is crap, whatever way you look at it. And I've actually voted for Mickey Mouse before - my write in candidate when given no other choice. I don't agree with the pointing fingers at who should be paying the tax though. As I see it the bottom line is these government agencies need to tighten their belts and use some common sense. Why is it that a gov't employee makes 40% more than the a person doing the same job in the private sector? Also, wouldn't you think a military base whose function is to train security personel should guard their own gates with their own personel rather than hire it out to civilians? Seems we should have learned something from Lebanon but I guess having muslim guards was somehow different :???: Its not the tax system that bothers me but the enormous waste. Just think of what good all this money could be used for.

I read the other day that America has been paying something like $450 billion/year in interest on the national credit card - without the debt pay off, personal income taxes would be almost 40% lower. Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes about $48,373 for their share of the U.S. public debt.........I get the whole concept of 'Fair Tax' however the tax a person has to pay will never be 'fair'.

My point is if by fair tax you mean taxing everything you buy I will think twice about a new car. I will fix old one and run it for 300,000 and keep it 15 years.same goes for washer and dryer. everything down to furniture and my clothes.

wv mud river":27q5wteh said:
My point is if by fair tax you mean taxing everything you buy I will think twice about a new car. I will fix old one and run it for 300,000 and keep it 15 years.same goes for washer and dryer. everything down to furniture and my clothes.
You'll pay tax on parts for repairs which you already do but when you do buy a new car it will be taxable. Done properly I suppose there will no taxes on investments etc.

alisonb":3j6avzr7 said:
I read the other day that America has been paying something like $450 billion/year in interest on the national credit card - without the debt pay off, personal income taxes would be almost 40% lower. Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes about $48,373 for their share of the U.S. public debt.........I get the whole concept of 'Fair Tax' however the tax a person has to pay will never be 'fair'.
You do realize that 62.2% the debt that is owed is to Americans through individuals and institutions, social security trust, u. s. civil service trust, and military trust funds. Everyone thinks that China is the biggest holder of the debt they hold 7.5% of the debt, all other nations hold the rest. Now if I hold part of the debt through SS trust and also savings bonds my wife and I hold then it is an asset to me.

I am for the fair tax. I would like to have all of the money that they take from my pay each week and choose when I pay taxes. I think that if you actually got all of your pay, it would be an eye opener. I also like the idea of criminals and illegal aliens paying taxes. And I love the idea of the IRS going out of business.

I wish i was smart enough to figure out how to get this country out of this mess.I do like the idea of the IRS going away.and the tax system now is not working.I know that only about 50% of us pay taxes. who are the other 50%. ( other than most congressman & senators) super-wealthy? or illegals.???? ------ GO MOUNTAINEERS

wv mud river":2o8ggyp7 said:
I wish i was smart enough to figure out how to get this country out of this mess.I do like the idea of the IRS going away.and the tax system now is not working.I know that only about 50% of us pay taxes. who are the other 50%. ( other than most congressman & senators) super-wealthy? or illegals.???? ------ GO MOUNTAINEERS

Who says you're not? There are plenty of people in this country that could lead us out of this mess. The problem is it will take sacrifice. Any candidate that mentions sacrifice is almost always unelectable because none of us want to sacrifice anything. Everything is an entitlement in our eyes so we keep electing people that say what we want to hear, not what needs to be done.

Latest posts