Fair Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
Whoo Hoo! Sale was yesterday which means no more steers. :D

I took two steers and two lambs to the fair. I took Reserve Champion with one lamb in his class. He weighed in at 128. Went in for the grand drive but the judge said he lost a lot of power in his back end so we didn't win but it was awesome anyway! The other lamb got 6th in his class out of 6. He weighed in at 108. He just needed more weight on him but he should be awesome for state fair. And I took 6th out of 11 in showmanship. Not bad for my first year...my lamb didn't want to cooperate at the end.

The steers did alright. The lighter one weighed in at 1195 and he took 6th out of 6. The judge said he needed to be on feed longer and I already knew that. The heavier one weighed in at 1290 and took 3rd out of 4. The judge said he might have been started feeding late but we start mid-October. And I took 6th out of 13 in showmanship which was an improvement from last year so I was happy.

I sold the heavier one at the sale yesterday and got $1,700 for him. Kinda dissapointed seeing as how my brother had a lighter steer that placed lower and he got $2,000.

But now we have 2 steers left to be fed out some more then in the freezer they go.

My lambs will go to state fair the 22nd and then maybe Arizona and Stock Show after that.

I'm sad fair is over but glad I don't have to work with steers anymore.

Oh, and I also got High Point Senior Overall Speed Events so I was happy with that.

-Angus Girl

i would be broke if i feed a steer all the way form october and all the equitment i put in them and bought the steers and then sold him for 2000... but it sounds like you did a good job

Moocow11":ikxc4pjn said:
i would be broke if i feed a steer all the way form october and all the equitment i put in them and bought the steers and then sold him for 2000... but it sounds like you did a good job

That's the way we do it every year. It does get expensive, but it's well worth it in the end becuase if they are small you can get a head start on them.

Angus Cattle Girl congrats on the good job. Keep it up and your hard work will pay off in the end. :D

that is still low compared what we usually get. but we are one of the top three sales in kansas. you did a good job any pictuers

Good Job!!
Ya, post pictures if you have them!
We get low prices compared to other areas too. Ours will get maybe 1200 plus floor plan.
Grand usually goes between 3 and 4k,.

Luckily, we don't have to buy our steers. We raise our own cattle, just a simple cow/calf operation of range cattle of about 75 head. And my dad makes our chutes and all the feed we have to buy is beet pulp and All American. But we still only get about a $100 profit per year.

Floor price this year for Fremont County, CO was $0.81 for beef, $0.95 for lambs, $0.43 for hogs, and $0.85 for goats.

My steer would have sold for $1,048.95 floor price.

Grand steer sold for $6,500. This year buyers just really bit the dust.

Angus girl...who won the hog show and goat show, and how much did those champions bring?
Misty

Um, Josey Smotherman won Grand Champion Goat and Nathan Cool took Reserve Champion Goat. I can't remember what they brought.

Karen Masse won Grand Champion pig and Hayden Masse took Reserve Champion pig. I can't remember what they sold for either. Sorry :lol:

And Hayden Masse took Grand Champion lamb and Josey Smotherman won Reserve Champion lamb.

Latest posts