Fair rate to pay someone to check cows

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What would be a fair price to pay someone to look after 20 cow calf pairs year around? They would be putting out hay in the winter and keeping minerals out. Also checking them daily to make sure all is good. If something is sick I would take care of that. They live on the place where the cows would be so basically they would just go out the back door and check the cows. The man that would be doing this has been around cattle all his life and I trust him to look after mine.

A pair, hi;s pick, ,maybe 2, depending on what is involved, . Has he indicated what he might want to do the job?

Depends on the quality of the person. If there is a problem, ie broken fence, missing or sick cow etc will he go repair/fix it, or call you to come do it? Does he get hay or do you? It is a little easier in the summer not having to get hay and feed. If it's too far for you to travel every day, what is your time and gas worth to go? Does he have equipment, his or yours?
Sounds like a full time job to take care of someone else's cows.
No one will care for your belongings like you....

If he is bored and wants something to do, or is he looking to make a living off this?

I'd suggest a percent of calf crop. That way both are motivated to get the most out of the herd. Not sure with your current arrangement how many of the things he's supplying. His tractor? Fuel.. feed etc. I assume he's renting the land to you in a separate deal...

several good points in other post, but have not seen anyone ask what the rental value of the house would be that he is living in with no rent. I agree with Josher with percent of income to better motivate him. will he also be doing AI work for you? that would be more time consuming than just turning out the bull and requires a certain level of skill along with other related chores.

several good points in other post, but have not seen anyone ask what the rental value of the house would be that he is living in with no rent. I agree with Josher with percent of income to better motivate him. will he also be doing AI work for you? that would be more time consuming than just turning out the bull and requires a certain level of skill along with other related chores.
Where do you see the he's living in a rent free home?

Where do you see the he's living in a rent free home?
original post says he just has to walk out the back door to check cows so I figured he must be living where the cows are and if the cow owner is paying him to check the cows; either he must not be charging him rent or the cows are at the watchers place but post does not say he is renting space from the person watching the cows. process of eliminating on my part so I could be completely off on my thinking. would not be the first time.

I have heard from professional resources, that ranchers ought to charge themselves $75 per pair for labor per year. Maybe start from there and figure what percentage should go to you and what should go to the hired hand. I imagine it gets more complicated if he's using his own equipment.

The simple way I'd put it is. If he's good and you trust him with your cattle -

Hopefully he's an older guy looking for something to do, in which case give him whatever he asks for. If it's not enough give him the odd little bonus/something that shows your appreciation. If he is good he'll know what you can afford.

If he's young or needs income and any good you don't have enough cattle to justify paying him what you'll need to keep him.

Agree with Josher. A % of the calf crop gives him incentive as it makes him more inclined to look after the overall well being of the entire herd.
Just be careful about doing/saying something that would make him a defacto partner...unless that is what you want.

original post says he just has to walk out the back door to check cows so I figured he must be living where the cows are and if the cow owner is paying him to check the cows; either he must not be charging him rent or the cows are at the watchers place but post does not say he is renting space from the person watching the cows. process of eliminating on my part so I could be completely off on my thinking. would not be the first time.
Most of my rented pasture have rental houses on them. The renters rent the house..I rent the land.
My process of elemination says it's a rented pasture that has a rent house on it. Price rents the pasture, the other guy rents the house. I've got a couple of those.

Most of my rented pasture have rental houses on them. The renters rent the house..I rent the land.

My process of elemination says it's a rented pasture that has a rent house on it. Price rents the pasture, the other guy rents the house. I've got a couple of those.
back when we were in the dairy business, our hired help stayed in the second house and paid no rent if he helped full time.

What would be a fair price to pay someone to look after 20 cow calf pairs year around? They would be putting out hay in the winter and keeping minerals out. Also checking them daily to make sure all is good. If something is sick I would take care of that. They live on the place where the cows would be so basically they would just go out the back door and check the cows. The man that would be doing this has been around cattle all his life and I trust him to look after mine.
How many acres in this pasture? Is he to walk it, ride it (horse) or drive it? Or, do your provide a truck, horse, ATV or something? What kind of hay is he putting out? Small squares or round bales? HOW is he putting them out? His truck or tractor, or yours?

Latest posts