FAIR price for hay for Texas and Okla

Help Support CattleToday:

some of the hay "gougers" act like the oil/gas "gougers".....what do they call it...supply and demand......they may be walking in tall cotton right now, but when the drought is over, and things get back to semi normal, i tend to remember who gouged me and i have a long memory, as im sure most of ya'll do........i dont have the hay to sell this year, im holding on to all ive got, and praying for rain...
samm

i met a guy this weekend at a boot store.. he was bragging about getting 150 a 4x5 roll .. he said he was baleing 200 acres that is irrigated .. claims to be selling as Much as he can cut ...

We are wanting to sell 100 bales of hay. They are round bales 4 by 5 oat hay will deliver but need information on where to take it. Anyone with info please email me at [email protected] thank you!

We just got 3 loads of alfalfa/brome mix from Canada. Delivered price a little LESS than what we were gouged for by Oklahoma seller earlier for hay that was 1/3 quality.

Go figure...

:cowboy:

All of which solidifies my stance on hay. If I cannot earn $5 a bale, after cost, I aint selling it. There is no point in driving 20 miles for tire kickers who scoff at that price. Especially if they only want to buy one or two bales. They can go to the feed store. Prices today are $150 a bale for small rounds and people are buying it. Quality is not all that bad but the price is way beyond the value.

samm":3fsxcdh0 said:
some of the hay "gougers" act like the oil/gas "gougers".....what do they call it...supply and demand......they may be walking in tall cotton right now, but when the drought is over, and things get back to semi normal, i tend to remember who gouged me and i have a long memory, as im sure most of ya'll do........i dont have the hay to sell this year, im holding on to all ive got, and praying for rain...
samm

Whats the difference in gouging and refusing to sell? Seems about the same to me, at least the poor guy gets some much needed hay at some price. You might as well be charging $500 a roll if you are not going to sell it either way.

backhoeboogie":36ip46dr said:
All of which solidifies my stance on hay. If I cannot earn $5 a bale, after cost, I aint selling it. There is no point in driving 20 miles for tire kickers who scoff at that price. Especially if they only want to buy one or two bales. They can go to the feed store. Prices today are $150 a bale for small rounds and people are buying it. Quality is not all that bad but the price is way beyond the value.

Boogie you have heard me this this a thousand times no such thing as to much hay. I see people out of hay as poor planning. Your out of hay time to sell ole Belle or shell out the cash 150 buck's a bale. Or they can drop a 150 grand and go into the baling business. No free rides in this game. Drought is part of the game.

Caustic Burno":jkeany1n said:
backhoeboogie":jkeany1n said:

Boogie you have heard me this this a thousand times no such thing as to much hay. I see people out of hay as poor planning. Your out of hay time to sell ole Belle or shell out the cash 150 buck's a bale. Or they can drop a 150 grand and go into the baling business. No free rides in this game. Drought is part of the game.

You're absolutely right. I aint in this for charity - (but I did donate some hay to fire victims up at Possum Kingdom)

The sale barn is attaining all time highs for calves. How many people are selling and "GOUGING" at these outrageous cattle prices? Wonder how they'd feel if I offered them 70 cents a pound for their steers?

Boogie, hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. This fellow was complaining about hay prices and the next thing he said was he was not selling "any" of his which is his priviledge but if he didn't want to sell at low prices he should not complain about those that do sell at higher prices. BTW, I sold good hay for $25 a roll last fall.

Nothing you said was offensive in any way.

What offends me is to drive to the pasture and have someone offer less than what the agreed price was on the phone. The hay quality is awesome. There are some people who actually want you to sell it for less than cost. It is darn good coastal that you would not hesitate to feed.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

Hay prices are still high down this way; up to $150 for a small round bale. Now, with all the rain, winter grass is coming up nicely and I think the hay prices will come down a bit. Some say that the El or La whatever is moving out somewhat and this Spring should be better for the bermuda grass to come back.

I don't begrudge the hay sellers making a buck. As for the gougers; payback is he!!.