Fair Market Beef (For Canadians)

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
Fair Market Beef is taking R-CALF to court. They are looking for 13,000 producers with cheques of $20 each. They are filing a suit against R-CALF and its members looking for $7 Million Dollars a day in damages. They have given R-Calf an offer to publicly retract the false statements made about Canadian beef and no retraction has been forthcoming. They have hired a lawyer out of Montana and the court date has been set for April 11th/2005.

Please make your cheques payable to: Fair Market Beef

Send them to:

Fair Market Beef
c/o Jim Murray
RR#3, Site 70, Box 8
Portage la Prairie, Mb
R1N 3A3

I support peoples right to disagree with anything,but not with tactics like they use. Maybe if enough checks come from the U.S.,it might get R-calfs' attention. Then again, maybe not-but for less than the price of a steak dinner it's worth a try and it's way past time for this to stop. Good Luck.

Just a couple of questions Cattle Rack Rancher so I understand a little more about what they are doing. I think R-CALF should be sued and am glad Fair Market Beef is doing it. I feel horrible for not knowing more about this and being Canadian. :oops:
What happens if they don't get the money? Will they have to drop the suit? Also if they win the suit who is getting the money, the people sending $20.00?
They have my money, just want to know more.:)

Also as a Canadian I want to thank Americans like la4angus. If it weren't for fellow producers like you R-Calf would leave a far more bitter taste in my mouth.

Cattlerack- Is your Free Market Beef outfit also going to sue this Canadian group and the 100,000 Canadians they represent? Seems like much of what R-CALF has been saying about the Canadian feed suppliers and Canadian government being negligent and lax in their BSE safeguards is exactly what these Canadian producers are now saying that happened :shock: I'd say if you donated to Free Markets slander/libel lawsuit it just went down the drain with this one... We need to set back and let the whole issue go to trial in Billings in July and August--- but if the revelations keep coming forward against the USDA, CFIA and Packer-retailers the Courts may close down the borders to all imports-especially until the fraud of passing off all imports as US products is cleared up...........

Mad-cow suit blames Ottawa$7-billion class-action accuses government of letting disease devastate cattle industryBy KIRK MAKIN

Monday, April 11, 2005 Page A7

JUSTICE REPORTER

A $7-billion class-action suit being launched this morning on behalf of 100,000 farmers in four provinces accuses the federal government of negligently allowing "mad-cow disease" to devastate the cattle industry.

The lawsuit claims that a federal monitoring program incompetently lost track of 80 out of 191 imported cows it was supposed to track in case they developed signs of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

The lawsuit states that at least one of the cattle -- imported from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s -- was eventually ground up into feed, infecting a number of cattle that ate the feed.

"I don't know how you can lose 80 cows that you know may have mad-cow disease and, if it finds its way into a Canadian herd, will destroy the cattle industry," said Toronto lawyer Cameron Pallett, one of a legal team in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

"How can you start a program knowing about this, and then, when one of them comes up with BSE 3½ years later, say: 'Oops, we misplaced them and they were rendered into cattle feed when we weren't looking.' "

With the cattle industry having lost an estimated $7-billion so far, the class action could quickly become the largest in Canadian history.

The lawsuit also targets the company that allegedly made the feed -- Ridley Corp. Ltd. -- saying that it knew, or ought to have known, that its feed could be contaminated by BSE.

Federal lawyers and spokesmen for Ridley were unavailable for comment yesterday.

The statement of claim says that in 1996, Ridley's Australian parent company agreed to stop using cattle meat and bone meal in that country's cattle feed. However, it says the company recklessly continued using the material in its Canadian products because it was cheaper than using soybeans.

"Ridley knew the risks they were taking," Mr. Pallett said. "Ridley figured they could get away with it here, and hopefully, they will be proven wrong."

The genesis of the case dates back to 1986, when British scientists confirmed that BSE was responsible for the death of numerous cattle during Britain's 'mad cow' crisis. They determined that the disease was transmitted to healthy cattle when they ate the remains of infected cattle. As little as less than one milligram of infected feed could trigger BSE in a cow.

The lawsuit alleges that while Britain was busy banning the use of cattle remains in cattle feed, Canada was passing a 1990 regulation that permitted the practice -- along with a pledge to ensure that the process took place in a safe manner.

According to the statement of claim, the federal government "conducted no health and safety assessment whatsoever of the feed ingredients" listed in its new regulations.

At roughly the same time, Agriculture Canada banned the importation of cattle from the United Kingdom. It prudently catalogued 191 cattle that had been imported from the area between 1982 and 1990, and set up a program to monitor them.

However, the lawsuit alleges that this program swiftly lost track of the animals it had been set up to watch.

In 1993, BSE was discovered in one of the 191 animals. According to the lawsuit, Agriculture Canada quickly discovered that 80 of these cattle had died and their remains used in animal feed. This meant that cattle infected with BSE were in the food chain.

"At least ten of these animals that potentially entered the cattle feed system were from herds in Great Britain that contained animals diagnosed as having BSE," the lawsuit said. "The plaintiffs state that (federal officials) were grossly negligent in allowing these 80 cattle to be rendered and enter the animal food chain between 1990 and 1993."

"By the government's own admission, one or more of those 80 cattle are the most likely source of BSE in Canada," Mr. Pallett said. "Where was the monitoring? Where was the government's concern for the health of Canadians? Why did the government fail so badly in the exercise of its regulatory responsibilities?"

On May 20, 2003, the discovery of BSE in a Canadian cow led to the United States to close its borders to Canadian cattle and beef exports.

Totally different issue. The lawsuit against the Canadian government has to do with its policies on BSE back in 1990. The slander/libel suit is against the lies told by R-CALF. Good Luck.

oldtimer=According to the lawsuit, Agriculture Canada quickly discovered that 80 of these cattle had died and their remains used in animal feed. This meant that cattle infected with BSE were in the food chain

And they could tell that without a test?Speculation.

Victoria":zqfsh4rk said:
Just a couple of questions Cattle Rack Rancher so I understand a little more about what they are doing. I think R-CALF should be sued and am glad Fair Market Beef is doing it. I feel horrible for not knowing more about this and being Canadian. :oops:
What happens if they don't get the money? Will they have to drop the suit? Also if they win the suit who is getting the money, the people sending $20.00?
They have my money, just want to know more.:)

Also as a Canadian I want to thank Americans like la4angus. If it weren't for fellow producers like you R-Calf would leave a far more bitter taste in my mouth.

The money will be split between producers, but the bigger goal is to make sure the border opens. It is likely that R-CALF will disband if the judgement is made against them. There will be some assets that come out of Leo and Bill and some of the other board members who actually made the misrepresentations but most of that will likely go for legal bills.

Here is a link to a similar lawsuit as the one we are bringing against R-CALF

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1355901/posts

"By the government's own admission, one or more of those 80 cattle are the most likely source of BSE in Canada," Mr. Pallett said. "Where was the monitoring? Where was the government's concern for the health of Canadians? Why did the government fail so badly in the exercise of its regulatory responsibilities?"

Is this Canadian ranch group now admitting that their is a health risk? Sounds like their attorney is saying exactly what R-CALF has been saying-except R-CALF has been concerned about the heath and safety of the US consumer and US cattle.... Free Market Beef may want to include Mr. Pallet in their libel/slander lawsuit ;-)

Latest posts