Facilities for AI

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What are the requirements for facilities if you're going to do limited AI work? Doesn't seem cost effective to get a bull but if I AI the cows I want to make sure I'm set up to do so....at minimum cost if I can!

[email protected]

The minimum would probably be a halter and a rope. But practically some method of restraining the cow is all that is required, a corner that you can close a gate on either side of so she can't waltz from side to side, it's hard to keep up with them when they really get wound up. Some method of keeping them from backing out over you is also pretty handy but not required depending on the cow. We have a portable feed bunk with self catching head locks for use out in the pasture so we don't have to run the cows around to get them caught up. Most cows it works real well, some not so pretty good. As I said, it depends on the cow. If you will be having someone else do the breeding, find out what they require as a minimum. We bred range cows in an alley way with a pole stuck in front and in back, worked ok too.

dunmovin farms

> What are the requirements for
> facilities if you're going to do
> limited AI work? Doesn't seem cost
> effective to get a bull but if I
> AI the cows I want to make sure
> I'm set up to do so....at minimum
> cost if I can!

i dont really know much but sometimes to AI horses you load them into a two horse trailer (with a half door in the back) it acts like an instant squeeze chute, you cant get kicked, the cow cant move, and if that doesn't work and you get really mad, you can drive the cow to someone else and have them do it, or a vacant field FAR FAR away. :D

[email protected]

Latest posts