Facebook Banned Sale of Animals

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Well I guess PETA and the liberal left got their way. Facebook has updated its policies to not allow the sale of animals. Some people are still doing it but you can be flagged and your post removed. Absolutely absurd. Great while it lasted. You can still post animals and put a "contact for info" and get away with it I believe.

TCRanch":9rjgeb8k said:
So no more selling cattle, goats, etc on group pages like KS Farmers & Ranchers? Why is that wrong? Or, considering who got it banned, is that a rhetorical question?
The sales groups I am a member of changed their name and had to put it in the title page the new policy. It will probably hit every sale group. Probably wasnt us that got it that way. May have been dog fighters, cock fighters, stuff like that going on. Maybe we just got caught in the middle. Either way I just lost a good outlet for advertising. Back to full time craigslist.

callmefence":2cw8hkly said:
There's these places in nearly every county in Texas. Their called sale barns.
Only thing I take to the auction are culls and steers. You only get beef price. You dont get too much premium for replacement heifers, replacement bulls or registered stock there. Those places can be rigged. I sold a 1/2 jersey heifer for yesterday private for $2 a pound. More than any sale barn. Some people in the market are willing to pay more to buy private and talk with the rancher who raised the animal. Sold 15 registered 1 year olds for my neighbor for $1500 each in one buy. Nkt a single person called from craigslist. Facebook "was" a good tool

BK9954":21fctru7 said:
callmefence":21fctru7 said:
Only thing I take to the auction are culls and steers. You only get beef price. You dont get too much premium for replacement heifers, replacement bulls or registered stock theere. Those places can be rigged. I sold a 1/2 jersey heifer for yesterday private for $2 a pound. More than any sale barn. Some people in the market are willing to pay more to buy private and talk with the rancher who raised the animal. Sold 15 registered 1 year olds for my neighbor for $1500 each in one buy. Nkt a single person called from craigslist. Facebook "was" a good tool
BK one thing I've learned over the years is that at sale barns animals bring just about what they're worth. You just have a lot of knowledgeable buyers as apposed to facebook or craigs list where you may be dealing with uninformed buyers which i guess can be a good thing for some sellers.

TexasBred":23s44cjg said:
BK9954":23s44cjg said:
callmefence":23s44cjg said:
Only thing I take to the auction are culls and steers. You only get beef price. You dont get too much premium for replacement heifers, replacement bulls or registered stock theere. Those places can be rigged. I sold a 1/2 jersey heifer for yesterday private for $2 a pound. More than any sale barn. Some people in the market are willing to pay more to buy private and talk with the rancher who raised the animal. Sold 15 registered 1 year olds for my neighbor for $1500 each in one buy. Nkt a single person called from craigslist. Facebook "was" a good tool
BK one thing I've learned over the years is that at sale barns animals bring just about what they're worth. You just have a lot of knowledgeable buyers as apposed to facebook or craigs list where you may be dealing with uninformed buyers which i guess can be a good thing for some sellers.
Sale barn to me is straight beef price because its a bigger gamble. You got people like me who only take culls to the auction and sell decent cattle private. I see it as a sin to take a perfectly good replacement heifer and have the meat packers buy her at beef price, cheaper then a steer.

dun":1bbwn72l said:
Have they banned the rescue groups too.
Dont think so. Some of the groups I am on have changed the name. I went on a minute ago and there are people still posting stuff. They took away the automatic sale listing button and changed the name. Its up to the group founder to delete the post. Not sure if facebook will come in and shut the whole thing down. Instead of herefords for sale its called the Hereford Discussion Group. Instead of cattle for sale it's called the cattle Discussion Group.

BK9954":iazq2hau said:
TexasBred":iazq2hau said:
BK9954":iazq2hau said:
Sale barn to me is straight beef price because its a bigger gamble. You got people like me who only take culls to the auction and sell decent cattle private. I see it as a sin to take a perfectly good replacement heifer and have the meat packers buy her at beef price, cheaper then a steer.

A half jersey is not a cull? I'm reading your words and shaking my head.

BK9954":2893d61l said:
callmefence":2893d61l said:
Only thing I take to the auction are culls and steers. You only get beef price. You dont get too much premium for replacement heifers, replacement bulls or registered stock there. Those places can be rigged. I sold a 1/2 jersey heifer for yesterday private for $2 a pound. More than any sale barn. Some people in the market are willing to pay more to buy private and talk with the rancher who raised the animal. Sold 15 registered 1 year olds for my neighbor for $1500 each in one buy. Nkt a single person called from craigslist. Facebook "was" a good tool

I've never tried Facebook or Craigslist for cattle sales. Just didn't want to weed through the bs. But the specialty sales, FFA, Georgia Young Farmers Association and the UGA test sales have been a really good outlet for our heifers.

We get notes like this in the mailbox or stuck on the gate all the time now.

Facebook has not banned the sale of livestock. As I understand it, the Marketplace component of Facebook does not allow livestock sales because it is intended for merchandise. There is no prohibition of selling or advertising livestock for sale on your individual timeline or in the group pages.

Fire Sweep Simmentals explained it to me today at the Owen Brothers Sale near Springfield which concluded only a few hours ago. She can do a better job explaining it than I can because she uses the group pages to advertise her stock.

My understanding is that it came out of an effort to crack down on puppy mills etc. There's a big outcry from the ag folks, and a change.org petition to allow legit ag sales.

A picture of the policy a picture of the petition and the picture of one of the guys who got his video to banned selling Brahmin

True Grit Farms":16tg9jlf said:
BK9954":16tg9jlf said:
callmefence":16tg9jlf said:

I've never tried Facebook or Craigslist for cattle sales. Just didn't want to weed through the bs. But the specialty sales, FFA, Georgia Young Farmers Association and the UGA test sales have been a really good outlet for our heifers.

We get notes like this in the mailbox or stuck on the gate all the time now.

I reckon that would be either redneck or hillbilly Facebook. Not sure which

Latest posts