Face Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
I have cattle rubs with flie control chemicals applied that my cattle pass through every day. I have cloth tails that hang from the rub every 3 inches or so. They pass the rub in single file, the first ones flip their heads to toss the cloth tails back over the rub, the rest pass through without touching them.

I feed free choice minerals with fly additives.

Still my cattle have face flies that must be uncomfortable to an extreme.

Question; Is there a spray/mist that I can spray directly on their face without fear of harming their eyes? They come to feed grain once or twice a week (just to keep them coming down in the evenings). (I could mist / spray their faces then).

Jon

I haven't found anything that can be sprayed on the face
I did go to the local pet store and bought a large container of tear stain pads for dogs, it has an alcohol solution in it.
I take a few pads and swipe under the puffy part of each eye and that seems to work well until it rains again -- in addition to all of the other preventative measures you mentioned.
Fly control is a never ending practice.

Tractor Supply does have a livestock spray that is made of chyrsanthemum that I spray in the mornings along the back, legs, brisket, crown, etc. that helps too.

coolpop said:
I did go to the local pet store and bought a large container of tear stain pads for dogs, it has an alcohol solution in it.
I take a few pads and swipe under the puffy part of each eye and that seems to work well until it rains again

I think Caustic does this tear wiping procedure on his cow too. ;-)

I use a dust powder called Vipor. It's something like 7-dust. I just throw on their heads. It really helps and it hasn't hurt their eyes any.