F250

Help Support CattleToday:

4hfarms

Reaction score
So the show is melted and I was Rollin real slow on my way back for lunch. I hear a scraping like needing brakes or bearings. Run to a shop here in town and he said I need everything. $1600. I dont have that, how about change the pads and I'll be on my way. Come back when you can rebuild my front end. He refused so I went to auto zone got my pads and went to the barn. I see he never disassembled anything. Dirt still on the nuts for the calipers.... dirty rotten thing. Small town monopoly!

I have very few people I trust to work on my stuff. I work on most everything I own. If I can't work on it I don't buy it. I understand shops have to make something but you won't be in business long trying to rob people like that.

$1,600 does seem high. Last complete brake overhaul I had done was on a 1 ton dually. They replaced all rotors, pads, and emergency brake pads for a touch under a grand. This was at one of the more expensive shops in town. As others have said, you don't have to take anything loose to inspect.

So the show is melted and I was Rollin real slow on my way back for lunch. I hear a scraping like needing brakes or bearings. Run to a shop here in town and he said I need everything. $1600. I dont have that, how about change the pads and I'll be on my way. Come back when you can rebuild my front end. He refused so I went to auto zone got my pads and went to the barn. I see he never disassembled anything. Dirt still on the nuts for the calipers.... dirty rotten thing. Small town monopoly!

When in high school i took auto tech and do all my own stuff except something that I am not set up for or will take a long time. I don't rebuild motors or get heavy into fooling with them the leaning over kills my back. I will do transmissions and anything else. If you get a chilton manual and got a lil time you can do most projects just read and go slow. I buy most of my parts off ebay since they are the same ones the auto stores sell but about 50% cheaper. I only go to auto store if i need something immediately.

If he has to replace the wheel bearings, tie rods, brake pad and maybe the complete brake system $1600 is not bad.

If he has to replace the wheel bearings, tie rods, brake pad and maybe the complete brake system $1600 is not bad.
Ya I dont know if all Fords are like this but my F150 has hub, rotor, and bearing all as one piece I think. Its several hundred dollars.

On my old gm trucks you didnt even cut the rotors. New ones were like $15.

I couldn't understand the OP but $1600 is real easy to hit depending on what all is included.

Got a $1200 quote last year just for upper control arms and ball joints on my 06 Chevy when I tried to get it aligned.

With labor rates sitting at ~$150 an hour, doesn't take much at all to get over $1000.

When in high school i took auto tech and do all my own stuff except something that I am not set up for or will take a long time. I don't rebuild motors or get heavy into fooling with them the leaning over kills my back. I will do transmissions and anything else. If you get a chilton manual and got a lil time you can do most projects just read and go slow. I buy most of my parts off ebay since they are the same ones the auto stores sell but about 50% cheaper. I only go to auto store if i need something immediately.
A lot of fake/counterfeit parts on Ebay as people will do anything for a dollar. I bought some plugs there fake that almost ruined an engine (daughters Rogue) and some brake pad that were support to be high dollar Bendix and lasted less than 10k miles.

A lot of fake/counterfeit parts on Ebay as people will do anything for a dollar. I bought some plugs there fake that almost ruined an engine (daughters Rogue) and some brake pad that were support to be high dollar Bendix and lasted less than 10k miles.

Wow.. I always order from the same company I have been doing business with hopefully I don't have that issue its been atleast 12 years I stopped going in the parts store.

Exactly. I drive by NAPA at least 5 times per week and that's where I buy 90% of my parts. Prices are very competitive, parts are good quality for the most part, and it's the same grouchy old bastards that have been working in there for the past 20 years - they know their stuff.

So me being a cheap sob, ordered it as a kit from auto zone. Rotor, caliper with bracket and pads with clips. It was $404 delivered to my barn, with tax. It weighs over 100lbs. Lucky it's free shipping. Took it apart today and will put it back together when the box arrives tomorrow. Any tips?

When I removed the calipers, the piston was siezed from a long gone/dried up leak around it. When I moved the piston to reset it, it broke the seal and started leaking again. The whole set was cheaper online delivered, than just a couple parts at the store. Still 75% less to do it myself. If I was still working, it would have been worth it to take the day off and do it myself, than to work the day and pay someone..The ball joints were done a couple years ago. Steering is tight. 06 f250. Farm truck that was made our daily driver when we lost my wifes car.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. The reason I asked about the calipers is that I don't change them until there is a problem, and that's not all that often. Keep an eyeball on your rubber hoses that connect the calipers to the chassis, I've had them collapse on the inside where you can't see what's going on and trap fluid in the calipers. Changed 2 or 3 calipers on my wife's car one time before I figured that out.

Here are a few tips...

If the parts from AZ were that much the mechanic was probably right in line.

Unless you screw it up, it usually always cheaper to do it yourself. They run a for profit business, not a charity. Save you and them time and just do it yourself next time from the get go.

Dont take stuff apart you cant do with out unless you know you have to right parts in hand... especially from AZ.

Latest posts