F150 4WD problem

Help Support CattleToday:

mom to 4

Reaction score
We have a '93 F150 with electronic 4WD that won't kick in. We can hear the relay click when we push the button, but the motor underneath won't kick it in. The old tried and true "rap it with a hammer" worked for a long time, but now nothing works. Our local mechanic thought it was maybe not just a problem with the motor. We're hesitant to replace it without knowing for sure. It's a little pricey. Anyone else have that problem?

If you've had to tap on it for awhile with a hammer to get it to work, it's been sticking lightly. My guess is it's finally stuck solid enough the hammer blow isn't breaking it loose. Most of them turn a quarter turn to engage the 4wd. Pull the electric motor off the back of the transfer case and take an adjustable wrench or pair of channel locks and twist the output shaft through it's cycle and back to home. Put it back on and try it, if that helps, it's time for a new electric motor. You can check the wiring to see if it has correct current sent to the motor to cycle it, but I don't have a diagram in front of me. My bet is the motor's bit the dust.

cfpinz

Latest posts