f1?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm pretty sure that it is the result of crossing purbreds. The first time that you do it.You have a animal that is 50/50 or F1.
For example if you cross a Angus with a Brahman ,the first cross would be a F1 (Brangus). The you would cross the F1"s back to a Fullblood Angus . Giving you 3/8 Brahman 5/8 angus.

Know I have a question, it seems to me that you have two ways to do this.
The conventional way , I suppose , would be to cross a full blood bull to F1 heifers, Now I'm just curious , if you had a good looking F1 bull, could you put him in a field full of pure angus cows , and get the same results or amI just way over my head here???

To answere your question

To Produce a true F1 you have a pure sire or dam of Breed A

then you breed them to a pure sire or Dam of Breed B

Thus producing an F1 50%A 50%B

Then the F2 Generation Bred to a Pure A or B will result in a

75%A 25%B or 75%B 25%A this resultant animal if a bull can then be bred to your original F1 Generation
to produce the desired 5/8 3/8 animal

The big question is why do this, I can see no genetic merrit for this, as you have maximized the hybrid vigor in the F1 female and her productive capacity will only be reduced by the dilution of the F1

To maximize her potential, it would be better to breed the F1 to a completely different breed giving you a commercial composit that is terminal, designed strictly for consumpion and high yield and carcass performance

Here in Texas, the Brahman F1 crossed with just about anything is Queen of cow country, No bones about it and they top the commercial market for bred females for upto 1600-2500 a piece, not many purepreds can boast that, I don't care what breed they are crossed with, you can not miss!

I wish F1 Brahman cross heifers were easy to find here in South Carolina. There is a fella that raises Brahman Holstein cross heifers though.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":1yzq1rvy said:
I wish F1 Brahman cross heifers were easy to find here in South Carolina. There is a fella that raises Brahman Holstein cross heifers though.
What is wrong with buying from out of South Carolina?
You ever think of that?

la4angus":3czd36jr said:
Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":3czd36jr said:
You ever think of that?
It would cost too much to ship them from out of state unless you ordered a truckload.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":pfcc9y8w said:
la4angus":pfcc9y8w said:
Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":pfcc9y8w said:
You ever think of that?
It would cost too much to ship them from out of state unless you ordered a truckload.
What part of South Carolina are you in.

For the most part, it is not cost effective to have this cross, they are too large and require way too much to eat, but they are nice,

I have two, they are twin sisters, an oops from a Brahman Breeders ET program, their dam was safe "suposed to be" to an ET but their show bull was in the pen with her and well "now you know the rest of the story"

These girls are fertile myrtels, they calves at 24 mo with ET's, then one got bred 28 days post partum when the Brahman bull took out the fence, and I didn't catch it in time, she was 45 days safe by the time we caugh on, well they have their 3rd calves and the ground and 1 of the two is bred with another emryo, but I have seen some that are HUGE, mine are only about 1250 # and work well for me, are solid black and have little white on their underline, the problem is I don't think those dairy folks use really top performance bulls, they try for calving ease, thats all they need to produce milk, why invest more,

Anyway there are lots of bad things that come from dairy herds you want to avoid in a beef herd, I was just lucky with these twins, it hardly ever works out this well, I have had it go wrong too!

la4angus":3lr0xody said:
Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":3lr0xody said:
la4angus":3lr0xody said:
Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":3lr0xody said:
You ever think of that?
What part of South Carolina are you in.
The Midlands (just outside of Columbia).

Latest posts