f1

Help Support CattleToday:

elbertmanor

Reaction score
is there any info i can print out on f1 crosses.i need to shut up a know it all they do not think that a regestered hereford and a registered beefmaster are f1 thanks for your help

Don't know of a specific website offhand, but try a google search. However, when referring to an F1 most folks simply mean the first generation offspring from the mating of two different breeds. In many parts of the USA the most common F1 is a product of mating Angus with Hereford (the offspring is aka "black baldy"). In the deep south and Texas I believe folks most commonly think of an F1 as the offspring from mating of Hereford and Brahman (aka "tigerstripe" and "chocolate brown" if they don't stripe up). Since Beefmaster is essentially recognized as a separate "breed" by most folks I guess you could say that the offspring of Beefmaster and Hereford mating is an F1, though that combination doesn't normally come to mind. Your friend is probably taking issue with you because Beefmaster is essentially a composite breed that was "created" by combining Brahman, Hereford and Shorthorn blood at the approximate rate of 50/25/25. So it probably seems a little out of the ordinary or wrong to him to refer to such a mating as an F1. You may have a Clintonian semantics argument to hash out and maybe both sides can claim victory. :lol:

if you breed a hereford to beefmaster its an f1.doing so would increase the hereford blood.as well as lessen the ear.as well as tighten the sheath.scott

AZ is correct. F1 just means "first cross". It is a term related to the breeding process and not specific to any particular breed. I've got a herd of F1 tigerstripes, which is what comes to mind to most people in South Texas when talking about F1's.

CJ

Elbertmanor,
F1 is a genetics term that means First Filial generation.
The parent generation is the P1 generation. The offspring of the parents is the F1 generation. This is for anything, plants or animals. It is not just cattle.
Technically it has nothing to do with breed.

Cattle breeders usually 'mean' the offspring of animals of two different breeds.
By definition the offspring of your parent cattle is the F1 generation.
You can look up 'filial' and 'filial generation' in the dictionary to make your point.

Sounds like you've got a technical friend.

You are both right,depending on your perspective.

If you call Herefords a breed and Beefmasters a breed, it's an F1.

If he calls Herefords a breed and Beefmasters a mix of Brahman, Shorthorn and Hereford, he's right, since Hereford is already in there, it's not an F1.

mtnman

All of you have good points but I would consider the Hereford/Beefmaster cross an F1. Both are recognized breeds, even though the Beefmaster breed was originally created using 1/4 Hereford blood.

Latest posts