F1

Help Support CattleToday:

circlebllc

Reaction score
Found local guys who raise Red Angus and Hereford cows and bulls. Picked up a couple F1's that are covered by a Red Angus. Others are pure bred Red Angus. Most were with calf. $1750/hd. 1st calf heifers. Pretty happy with disposition and looks. Mostly am trying to upload pics via Google photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TDJa6ykccJV6Lm9H7

I'm expecting F1 red baldy calves in two months. Red Angus cows bred to Hereford bulls. I'm hoping they'll be heifers.

I am new on here so I hope i am not or dont over step my boundries, but I just bought a F1 (black angus/hereford) and I was wondering what would be the best to put him on?

gfarms said:
I am new on here so I hope i am not or dont over step my boundries, but I just bought a F1 (black angus/hereford) and I was wondering what would be the best to put him on?

You bought a black baldy bull with no plan?

What are your goals for your ranching business?

WalnutCrest said:
gfarms said:

Hey Walnut, you need to answer the guys' questions in your own thread.

gfarms said:

The best thing to put him on would be a meat hook

Got some Hereford cow x angus bull females. Cull a few for low milk, and then have very good cows. Hard to beat for a commercial herd.
Got some Hereford cow x Limi females. Very attentive mothers, slower to mature, and often keep growing till they are 1600#. Look like front pasture cattle but not recommended for efficiency. Good resale. ;-)
Got some baldy cow x simi bull females. Some are not attentive mothers, more milk, big calves, don't winter as well as baldies. Hard to beat for feeders. Trying to sort off some for replacements, but many have too much growth for my system.

Stocker Steve said:
Got some Hereford cow x angus bull females. Cull a few for low milk, and then have very good cows. Hard to beat for a commercial herd.
Got some Hereford cow x Limi females. Very attentive mothers, slower to mature, and often keep growing till they are 1600#. Look like front pasture cattle but not recommended for efficiency. Good resale. ;-)
Got some baldy cow x simi bull females. Some are not attentive mothers, more milk, big calves, don't winter as well as baldies. Hard to beat for feeders. Trying to sort off some for replacements, but many have too much growth for my system.
just hope you can find a market, for those baldie bull females..:cboy:

Black baldy bulls are common in my state, judging on Craigslist. Not much demand for the F1 black baldy bulls as herd bull, even tho I sold a black baldy bull calf as a herd bull last fall. That said I'd rather breed him to black cows of any breeds.

WalnutCrest said:
gfarms said:

I bought a black baldy bull with no plan.... Yep I needed a bull bad, I was at his place loved the looks (I know that doesn't pay the bills) the owner has an outstanding program and people are lined up to buy his bulls, I had an opportunity and ran with it... so Yes I bought a black baldy with no plan
My Goals : to put as many Paied for momma cows as I can on 220ac with my black baldy bull and pray that the good people of Cattle today will help guide me threw lol. No really I will take all the advice I can get. Thanks

5S Cattle said:
gfarms said:

The best thing to put him on would be a meat hook

I don't have any "meat hooks" available, so I guess I will just have to man up and find something to put on him. thanks for the honest answer

gfarms said:

I would find a some Charlois and sell the smoke calves as feeders a couple weeks after weaning them. Smokes sell really well around here. Ideally you would want black baldie heifers from an angus cow and Hereford bull then find a good terminal Charlois bull.

YoungAngusCattle said:
gfarms said:

I would find a some Charlois and sell the smoke calves as feeders a couple weeks after weaning them. Smokes sell really well around here. Ideally you would want black baldie heifers from an angus cow and Hereford bull then find a good terminal Charlois bull.

Fancy black steers typically top the market at Bluegrass every week.

Why not work on that?

Go straight for the highest price steers, it costs no more to raise them than the others.

gfarms said:
WalnutCrest said:
gfarms said:

I bought a black baldy bull with no plan.... Yep I needed a bull bad, I was at his place loved the looks (I know that doesn't pay the bills) the owner has an outstanding program and people are lined up to buy his bulls, I had an opportunity and ran with it... so Yes I bought a black baldy with no plan
My Goals : to put as many Paied for momma cows as I can on 220ac with my black baldy bull and pray that the good people of Cattle today will help guide me threw lol. No really I will take all the advice I can get. Thanks

My advice?

1 -- Disregard all advice relating to maximizing your profit per animal.
2 -- Think hard about implementing any advice that relates to maximizing your profit per acre.
3 -- Make sure you understand, deeply, the difference between the two (profit per animal vs. profit per acre).

************* said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
gfarms said:

Why not work on that?

Go straight for the highest price steers, it costs no more to raise them than the others.

Because gfarms already has a baldy bull.

YoungAngusCattle said:
************* said:
YoungAngusCattle said:

Why not work on that?

I understand, I meant in a more long term perspective.

YoungAngusCattle said:
************* said:
YoungAngusCattle said:

Why not work on that?

While it's true that black hided steers do dominate the markets, Charolais influenced feeders will always produce more pounds than an Angus can dream of. You're looking at an extra 50lbs to 200lbs in a CharolaisX calf.

Muddy said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
************* said:

Why not work on that?

While it's true that black hided steers do dominate the markets, Charolais influenced feeders will always produce more pounds than an Angus can dream of. You're looking at an extra 50lbs to 200lbs in a CharolaisX calf.

There is a Charolais breeder down the road from me, he has pretty nice cattle.

My Angus make his Charolais look like they are on the South Beach Diet.

I bet if I were to take one of my calves from day one right up to 205, I would come out ahead. Without creep feeding. Especially if I used Byergo Titus on one of my bigger cows (1800+ pounds).

I understand that Charolais are big cattle, but my Angus have some heft. I can't say that for all the Angus I see in Kentucky. In which case, yes the Charolais would probably wean higher.

Latest posts