F1 Replacement Females

Help Support CattleToday:

phillse

Reaction score
I am looking to produce some F1 replacemt females in Alabama using Shorthorns. I am interested to see which cross you would be most interested in or more likely to buy. Shorthorn x Brangus, Shorhorn x Red Brangus, Shorthorn x Simbrah, Shorthorn x Red Angus, Shorthorn x Angus, or Shorthorn x Simmental

I am leaning to Shorthorn x Brangus or Shorthorn x Simbrah, or Shorthorn x Simmental.

I am interested in your thoughts. My thaoughts are to produce a black F1 female.

phillse":2ff2rzii said:
I am looking to produce some F1 replacemt females in Alabama using Shorthorns. I am interested to see which cross you would be most interested in or more likely to buy. Shorthorn x Brangus, Shorhorn x Red Brangus, Shorthorn x Simbrah, Shorthorn x Red Angus, Shorthorn x Angus, or Shorthorn x Simmental

I am leaning to Shorthorn x Brangus or Shorthorn x Simbrah, or Shorthorn x Simmental.

I am interested in your thoughts. My thaoughts are to produce a black F1 female.

I have no experience with any of the brahman infuluenced breeds. But Shorthorn do cross well with both Angus and Red Angus. I have seen some crossed with simmental and think they are pretty good too. If you want to produce a black F1 female, you will have to use a Black breed to cross with the Shorthorn since they are red only.

It will depend more on your location if you are planning on selling locally. If brahman influenced cattle sell well in your area, than you should incorporated those bloodlines, using a Black Brangus, or Black Simbrah. Otherwise, Angus or a black Simmental would work well. Of course, I would lean towards the Simmental. You will get more hybrid vigor & heterosis with a Continental sire. I have seen some awesome shorthorn/simm F1. Especially the blue roans :heart:

phillse":276oxv7m said:

You trying to make a black Gert? Slipping a little Angus into a breed that is already a little touched.

I don't have a sniff what your conditions are like, but I've got Shorthorn/Angus and Shorthorn/Simm crosses out in the pasture right now. My votes with the Shorthorn/Simm crosses, as they'll cross to either continental or another Brit breed and you'll get high gain calves. The cows will remain easy keepers.

The Shorthorn/Angus crosses are great too, but to get the best market calves, you'll want to terminal cross to a continental to put some frame on 'em...

If you're in an arid area, I'd skip the Simm cross, and look to something with a little more ear.

Rod

If you are very far south, I would use the Black Brangus, should not get to much ear and could handle the heat...On red shorthorn will the calves be black? what about the the whites and roans when crossed with say a Black Angus bull? What color would they be???

I am not trying to make a black gert, Caustic.

In my experience Shorthorn cattle have much to offer, they are gentle, good milkers, gain nicely, grade well and are fertile provided you stay away from the show bloodlines. I personally don't have any brahman influenced cattle, temperment being the issue but down here in south AL most comercial producers want a little ear. I have crosed shorthorn with Angus and they produced nice females and I have crossed them with black Simmentals which made some exceptional females. I think that in an area with predominately Angus based females cobvered by Angus bulls that shorthorn F1 could bring a lot to the table as for as heterosis, while still focusing on complemtary traits.

Alftn, Most of My shorthorn cattle are Red, I have a 2 red roans, and 2 Red with White marks. I sold a a bull with white markings and he got all black calves off of black cows. I may get an occasional blue roan, but with my imphasis on red genetics it will be very few.

Other than Angus the Bulls of Choice in our area are Charolais and Black Simmental. I am leaning to the black Simmbrah for heterosis reason and complementary traits. However, my father feels that the Simmbrah may have too much ear and leather.

The idea is that shorthorn have much to offer, I hav e allready spent several years improving the Shorthorn Genetics in our herd via AI. Many people are interesed in Shorthorn cross females but not in Shorthorn bulls. It is hard to argue with an average of $600 price difference in the price brought by my Simmental bulls and my shorthorn bulls, of equal quality. Therefore I ahve trying to find a way to let people see the value of shorthorn genetics while still providing the black hide they want. Cross them so people can see the value of shorthorn genetics, and hopefully people will become more educated about the breed after they see the performance. MAny people down here do not know a shorthorn when they see one if it is roan they assume it has longhorn in the background somewhere and if it is red they assume it is Red Angus. I have crossed shorthorns with Red Angus and the calves are good, but down here it seems everyone wants black brood cows.

What would a Shorthorn/Charolais cross be like? I'm thinking, purty darn good! 8) :D

phillse, I did something similar for many years, I contacted ranches in the area where I lived at the time, and made an agreement with a family company that were running a three way rotational cross for their feedlot and butchery business.
I produced their F1 maternal heifers from my adapted herd, and they used Red Angus as the terminal sire, elimiating the management of the rotational cross, maximising heterosis, and producing a uniform hybrid for their feedlot and butchery. The spinoff for me was an increase in local bull sales, due to the word of mouth advertising from a large, reputable, ranching company.

I would go with the BrangusxShorthorn cross, the Simbra cross would make cows that were hugh milkers. You need that ear here in the south, but anything that milks real heavy might be a problem for some producers u sell to

I don't know where you are going to find non-showring Shorthorn bloodlines IN Alabama; but of the options you posted I think the Shorthorn x Angus would be the best choice.

Brandonm2, I have the non -showring blood in Alabama. I got my start from an old shorthorn breeder in hamilton, AL, Mrs. Earline King. I bought 4 heifers from her in 1998. Since then i have used artificial insemination using performance blood lines. Bulls, like Mel-Bar Rodeo 347, for growth; Waukaru Carnegie, for low birth, milk, & carcass; RB Eagle 148 & Woodland GoldMine, balanced trait bulls. You can not find some of these bulls except from someone specializing in Shorthorn semen.

phillse":1c0scu6a said:
Brandonm2, I have the non -showring blood in Alabama. I got my start from an old shorthorn breeder in hamilton, AL, Mrs. Earline King. I bought 4 heifers from her in 1998. Since then i have used artificial insemination using performance blood lines. Bulls, like Mel-Bar Rodeo 347, for growth; Waukaru Carnegie, for low birth, milk, & carcass; RB Eagle 148 & Woodland GoldMine, balanced trait bulls. You can not find some of these bulls except from someone specializing in Shorthorn semen.

Congratulations on your efforts. I respect that.

As a buyer, if you were to cross with Brangus or other bos indicus influence, I'd be interested, because of this climate. If you were to cross with Angus, I'd have to pass.

I'd use the Black Brangus if your trying to turn them black because I think they need some ear for your climate. But you might look at a black Beefmaster. They already have some shorthorn influence and you would just be adding to it. Good luck.

If you want to get the most hybrid vigor use a Brahman. Then you will have a true F1. You need the Brahman influence in South Alabama. A Brangus , Beefmaster, Simbrah or Santa Gertrudis are composite breeds made up of English and Brahman or Continental and Brahman breeding. Don't worry about making them black. The red cattle take the heat better.

BC":2lhnld0f said:
If you want to get the most hybrid vigor use a Brahman. Then you will have a true F1. You need the Brahman influence in South Alabama. A Brangus , Beefmaster, Simbrah or Santa Gertrudis are composite breeds made up of English and Brahman or Continental and Brahman breeding. Don't worry about making them black. The red cattle take the heat better.
If you are going to get a Brahma try something with Hudgins very close.

Latest posts