F1 Longhorn cross cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever used Angus x Longhorn cows or Hereford x Longhorn cows? If so, what did you cross'em with, and what were the results at the sale barn?

Don't know about Hereford or Angus crosses with Longhorns. However, our latest bull purchase, "Jet Black Phantom" was used on a Charolais herd by a previous owner. His calves outproduced the other sires the owner used and they sold higher at sales than the Charolais X "Other" crosses.

This spring we sold a 2 yr old "beefy" body Longhorn bull (whatever that means) to a rancher that was having calving problems (calves too large) for his Beefmaster (or was it Simmenthal) herd...forgot what his herd was.

Don't know if this info is worth anything or not; but, just wanted to offer it.

Bill

Thanks for the input. There is a saying around here concerning the black hair fad stating that if you cross a Black Angus bull with Longhorn cow, you will get a black polled calf that will bring the same as other black cattle in the same weight class. :lol: LOL, but seriously that is about the truth with what I have seen at the local sale barn with good herefords bringing less than some solid black rangy cows.

we have used angus or black gelbvieh bulls on longhorn cows with some success.while the calves sold at weaning have not topped the sale barn or anything like that, they did much better then a straight longhorn claf at roper prices in our area.

I basicly just had a couple of Longhorn heifers gave to me and I wanted to keep the English cross heifers off of them instead of giving them away at the sale barn. They should work well on the broomstraw and briar patch infested clearcut that I am slowly but surely turning into pasture.

My Dad has 4 Red Angus/Longhorn cross cows and he's real happy with them. They calve easy and raise good (usually Red) calves that bring exactly the same as the straightbred Red Angus.

Ann B

That's good because I was thinking of breeding my Longhorn crossbreeds back to a Red Angus. My Longhorn cow and heifer are springing now and I cant wait to see the color pattern that is produced from the Angus cross.

Ann Bledsoe":3i8u2m76 said:
My Dad has 4 Red Angus/Longhorn cross cows and he's real happy with them. They calve easy and raise good (usually Red) calves that bring exactly the same as the straightbred Red Angus.

Ann B

Good info! One of our Longhorn Bulls (mostly white red roan) has sired some solid red and brown calves as well as one mostly solid white calf. The dams were solid brown, 80% red, and 75% white. We're looking forward to seeing what our solid black bull will produce next year from our variously colored cows...

Running Arrow Bill":13crhah7 said:
Ann Bledsoe":13crhah7 said:

Ann B

Good info! One of our Longhorn Bulls (mostly white red roan) has sired some solid red and brown calves as well as one mostly solid white calf. The dams were solid brown, 80% red, and 75% white. We're looking forward to seeing what our solid black bull will produce next year from our variously colored cows...

These 4 cows are White, most of the time they throw Red calves, but occasionally a couple will throw a Tan calf.

Ann B

Anonymous":1g73a0at said:
Running Arrow Bill":1g73a0at said:
Ann Bledsoe":1g73a0at said:

Ann B

These 4 cows are White, most of the time they throw Red calves, but occasionally a couple will throw a Tan calf.

Ann B

That was me, sorry I forgot to sign in.

Ann B

I think that using longhorn heifers in the herd rather then giving them away at the barn is a good idea. these percentage calves are going to be of more value in a auction yard. However, these will be the first cattle turned back if you sell in load lots. While we raise a small herd of papered longhorns in addition to our commercial cow herd, I feel that the best policy is to stay away from longhorn blood in a commercail setting. But if the cows were free it isnt hard to make it work.

The biggest things against Longhorns and their crosses at the sale barn are their distinctive charecteristics like horns and color patterns not their build. The key is to find a bull to cross with Longhorns and Longhorn crosses that can remove the horns and color patterns.

Latest posts