F1 Herd Bull Selection

Help Support CattleToday:

xbredcattle

Reaction score
Has anyone ran a purebred brahman bull over f1 tigerstripe cows? I have a small group of tigerstripes and have an opportunity to borrow a friends brahman for a few months..just curious if anyone has had had any luck with this cross?? :help: :help:

My main goal would be to retain any heifers for replacements.

Seems like a waste of good cows. Need to regulate your Brahman percentage...heifers would be ok, but the Bulls/steers.. Will get hit hard.and knowing my luck, calf crop would be 75 percent Bulls..

I don't know how small "a small group" is. That number will affect the equation for whether the money you'll save borrowing the bull will justify the lowered value of the calves. For 4 cows I'd probably say go ahead and do it. For 20 I wouldn't.

xbredcattle":71drsexb said:
Has anyone ran a purebred brahman bull over f1 tigerstripe cows? I have a small group of tigerstripes and have an opportunity to borrow a friends brahman for a few months..just curious if anyone has had had any luck with this cross?? :help: :help:

There are plenty of people that do it. No problem with it.

My question would be why are you wanting more Brahman blood? It might be a better use of the bull to put him across your less Brahman influenced cattle to get more F1 type cattle. "Because I can" or "just to see what happens" is a perfectly acceptable answer. :)

Where are you located if you don't mind?

ALACOWMAN":1db0v1at said:
Seems like a waste of good cows. Need to regulate your Brahman percentage...heifers would be ok, but the Bulls/steers.. Will get hit hard.and knowing my luck, calf crop would be 75 percent Bulls..

That's what I was thinking too....end up having mostly bull calves and get hammered at market :(

Brute 23":2v061ds3 said:
xbredcattle":2v061ds3 said:

My question would be why are you wanting more Brahman blood? It might be a better use of the bull to put him across your less Brahman influenced cattle to get more F1 type cattle. "Because I can" or "just to see what happens" is a perfectly acceptable answer. :)

South Louisiana - it's a group of about 15 cows
Since the bull would be free I figured I'd give it a shot...I'm assuming they'd be brahman colored as well

ALACOWMAN":39vfvqj8 said:
Seems like a waste of good cows. ..

I agree, mate these F1 Tigerstripe and mate them to Charolais, this is the best cross to take advantage of a tripe cross heterosis(British/Brahman x Continental) :cboy:

xbredcattle":1lus98q8 said:
Brute 23":1lus98q8 said:
xbredcattle":1lus98q8 said:

Since the bull would be free I figured I'd give it a shot...I'm assuming they'd be brahman colored as well

Are your F1s having trouble in your area? I know certain parts of LA are pure hell on cattle... its pure blood Brahman only. If you need the extra Brahman influence then go for it. If not, then I would stick with the F1s.

Your F1s with a real-deal Angus bull will mash the scales.

You may also watch the timing of the breeding. Selling Brahman bulls calves in the fall is probably not a good idea. Some one else may have a better explanation on that.

Dont' be scared off by people on here. Go watch some sales. See how much the bulls get docked... see how much the females cost... run the the numbers and see what you come up with. "What the bulls bring" is only one part of the equation. There are a lot of factors people who have never done it don't take in to account. If they wean at a higher weight but don't bring as much per pound, you may find out your didn't lose at all. Go find out for yourself and report back. :tiphat:

xbredcattle":kxnnfstn said:
I don't know jacksht about brahman. But I know it's not recommended.
However 15 cows and it's just for one season. What the heck it's a learning opportunity.
Flip a coin, tails you do it, heads you don't.

xbredcattle":2crbz3s4 said:

The heifers would be great the bull calves not so hot. It's not like you will have to give them away at the barn, they will take a hit.

xbredcattle":20t38kgd said:

I've seen 3/4 Brahman 1/4 Hereford heifers sell for as much as pure Brahman heifers in Church Point, Louisiana.

If you do it and have extra heifers for sale pm me. Might grab a few steers for slaughter, too.

You could actually make a decent profit borrowing the bull because the heifers would sell for a good price. If you slaughtered the steers right off the teat you would have good freezer beef. Buying a decent Angus bull would be the best move but with 15 cows that would eat up all your profits.

Latest posts