F1 cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
I have a deal to trade my redbrangus calves for F1 Hereford x Red Brangus heifer calves. I hope to have all F1's in the next 3 years and start a terminal cross with a Charolais bull. Studying the posts and using the search tool it seems this is a popular cross (Speaking of the F1's). I plan on buying breed heifers so only the cows will meet the Char bull. I've studied the across breed EPD's and the Char wins hands down for a terminal cross. I think the Hereford x Red Brangus F1's should be great judging from past posts. I can't help but wonder how F1 Shorthorn x Red Brangus cows would do? The across EPD chart shows that the milk would be great. I havn't read anything on here about that and I won't be experimenting on my own. Beefmaster comes to mind though. Would the coloring of the F1 x Charolais cross be uniform? What would it look like? I would expect this cross to bring a premium at the auction. Am I wrong?

Walt

I think the calves would be pretty close in color some darker some a lighter tint of yellow but Charolais are the best for getting that carcass just the way you want it and some Charolais are calving ease bulls

Txwalt":i3v1eu3t said:
I have a deal to trade my redbrangus calves for F1 Hereford x Red Brangus heifer calves. I hope to have all F1's in the next 3 years and start a terminal cross with a Charolais bull. Studying the posts and using the search tool it seems this is a popular cross (Speaking of the F1's). I plan on buying breed heifers so only the cows will meet the Char bull. I've studied the across breed EPD's and the Char wins hands down for a terminal cross. I think the Hereford x Red Brangus F1's should be great judging from past posts. I can't help but wonder how F1 Shorthorn x Red Brangus cows would do? The across EPD chart shows that the milk would be great. I havn't read anything on here about that and I won't be experimenting on my own. Beefmaster comes to mind though. Would the coloring of the F1 x Charolais cross be uniform. What would it look like. I would expect this cross to bring a premium at the auction. Am I wrong?

Walt
. sounds like a good cross. the calves should have the right amount of ear and tan color and be pretty uniform. but a calving season helps to uniform a group

We bree some of our Santas to Red Angus which would be similar to breeding Red Brangus to Shorthorn. We like them. We have recently disposed of our RA influence and have gone Durham Red. Can't wait to see the results. We have also used/ and still using on a very small scale, a few Limousin cows with our Santas and like that cross as well.

F1 - Offspring resulting from the mating of a purebred (straightbred) bull to purebred (straightbred) females of another breed.

Dick

If you make the trade those calves will be 1/2 Bhraman, 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Angus. I think these will do very nicely in Texas. I have 5 of these that I will be retaining this year. Three with Red Angus background and two with Black Angus Background. All out of F-1 Tigerstripe Mommas and Camp Cooley Brangus Bulls. They all look good and should cross well with a Straight bred bull. I say pull the trigger.

The F1's are coming from a Hereford bull on Red Brangus cows.

Walt

Txwalt":3q6kogtl said:
The F1's are coming from a Hereford bull on Red Brangus cows.

Walt

Are you buying F1's or are you intending on producing them?

The person selling is getting a good terminal market steer with shortened ear. The heifers are not as valuable, but decent. I'd prefer more ear in the heifers if I were using them for commercial cattle. I'd then cross back to bos taurus and follow the market trend for color at the sale barn.

I'm trading for the F1's. They'll be 3/16 brahman almost 19%.

Walt

Txwalt":1gvuhcxi said:
I'm trading for the F1's. They'll be 3/16 brahman almost 19%.

Walt

You'll be okay likely.

The problem with building a herd is trying to get enough brahman, but then taking a hit on the steers at the salebarn because of the ear. When you get the herd you want, you go to a bull that will satisfy the market demand and get heifers to sustain that don't have enough ear. All of which puts me back to thinking Caustic has the right approach, buy the cows heavy bred.