F1 Bulls (again)

Help Support CattleToday:

There is no question but what this subject matter is extremely complicated, and misconceptions are almost inevitable in the ideas exchanges. I think that most of us have a handle on the conception of F1 management in crossbreeding, but throughout this entire thread I have been looking for someone to mention that the 'fly in the ointment' - or - the 'stranger in the woodpile' is that old bug-a-boo HIGH QUALITY GENETICS, along with Phenotype and Functional traits!

Everyone has been citing "Breeds" in the matings, which is necessary for an understanding of results. BUT, ANY BREED CROSSING, whether it be crossing Breed A F1 Bull x Breed B purebred Cow - or - Breed A purebred bull to Breed B F1 Cow, has as it's Limiting Factors the differences in INDIVIDUAL QUALITIES of the individual animals being mated. If you would consider using the crossbred F1 Bull and a Herd of Purebred Cows - - the COWS would have to be PURE CLONES ( and that is a whole 'nother argument - ALLtogether :roll: ) in order to achieve a comparable genetic analogy, or comparison of relative values or appearances.

Very interesting debate! The work that Lee Leachman has done is in great depth and with several different breeds. A perusal of his work would be valuable for anyone seriously interested in deep crossbreeding with several different breeds (5 or 6 or 7 or more).

DOC HARRIS

Wouldn't it be a given that anyone that is serious about working with a crossbreeding program would work with quality animals? I suppose if some one had some real junk cows they might think they would fix all of their ills with crossbreeding, but those would be the type that would try to save a buck when buying bulls and would alwasy have junk no matter what.

dun":3qgl0gi8 said:
Wouldn't it be a given that anyone that is serious about working with a crossbreeding program would work with quality animals? I suppose if some one had some real junk cows they might think they would fix all of their ills with crossbreeding, but those would be the type that would try to save a buck when buying bulls and would alwasy have junk no matter what.
HELLO!! EXACTLY!! Just peruse some of the pictures that have been presented on these posts in the last year or so, and it makes one wonder if some producers really do KNOW what or why a bull or a cow is good or bad! Sometimes, we are so close to the subject that we can't see the forest because the trees are in the way! I call it being "BARN BLIND".

. . . .and I still say that the individual Genetics are as important as the particular breed because the Genetics are what has MADE the individual. That is not to say that the "breed" is more important than other factors - - - - - -but in MOST instances the breed IS more important than other breeds. THAT is the name of the game! But a producer must be able to think, and know some facts about his business, rather than to just rely on what Farmer Jones across the road is doing and saying, and use the breed that HE is using - - just - - because!

DOC HARRIS

The catch is the create F1s you still need different BREEDS. That was what this whole thread has been basically about F1s. Obviously the breed is the first concern, BREEDS that will compliment the other BREEDS. After that is determined, the best genetics available within the BREED for what you are trying to accomplish comes into play.