f1 brahman x simmental cow on a purebred angus

Help Support CattleToday:

tmarchant87

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with crossing a F1 Brahman x simmental cow bred to 100% black angus bull? I think the traits could cross for a good southeast beef producer.

tmarchant87":2di219ie said:
Does anyone here have any experience with crossing a F1 Brahman x simmental cow bred to 100% black angus bull? I think the traits could cross for a good southeast beef producer.
You mean Brahman /Simmental F1 cow ? Then yes it makes a heck of a terminal calf...

I've had plenty of black sim Bulls on Brangus cows. Never had what your talking about. Sounds good to me though. Wouldn't mind some heifers bred that way though.

I like the idea of breeding a calf that is 50% black angus, 25% simmental, and 25% brahman. Should have low BW, higher than average WW. Also will add heat tolerance and and hardiness to your herd through the brahman influence. At least from my research that looks like what you would get.

tmarchant87":2h9crju1 said:
I like the idea of breeding a calf that is 50% black angus, 25% simmental, and 25% brahman. Should have low BW, higher than average WW. Also will add heat tolerance and and hardiness to your herd through the brahman influence. At least from my research that looks like what you would get.

I wouldn't bet the farm on a low birth rate from that cross. Weaning weight should be good though.

Ran an F1 Simbrah bull (I have no idea of what Simmental or Brahman lines were behind him) over our crossbred herd - mostly black baldies, some with some Jersey back in the mix - in east-central Alabama, back in the early to mid-1980s. Best calves we ever produced there. No uniformity of color whatsoever - ranged from black/black baldy/red/rwf/ to wild-color - but they grew, and he was safe to use on any size heifer, surprisingly.

What kind of uniformity can be expected from calves of a brangus cow herd bred to black simmental or simangus bull. Pictures would be great if anyone has them.

tmarchant87":1c1qnb4y said:
What kind of uniformity can be expected from calves of a brangus cow herd bred to black simmental or simangus bull. Pictures would be great if anyone has them.
Should be real uniform,the ones I've seen bred to continental bulls threw calves that were consistent in type,size..

tmarchant87":3pp3nulx said:

I've got about 40 bred that way at home. I ain't home to take a pic.