F1 Black Baldy Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I found this local ad that reads "F1 Black Baldy Heifers 8-9 mo. old Dams registered Black Angus, Sire Registered Hereford" The ad has pictures and they look great, price is $850 each. If they look good in person that seems not too bad of a price. I know they have followed a good health protocol. Heifers are going for that and more at the Sale barn. How does that stack up in your area as far as the asking price?

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
If the quality is good it is low price. I have seen average Angus X heifers higher than that in KY and it is real hard to buy anything breedable at the markets for 1000.00. You will still have to wait 6 months or so to breed them and then 9 more until they calve out unless they are big I would think. Does that pencil out for you just curious? When do you typically breed your heifers?

OP
T

tncattle

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying and turning them. Maybe keep them until mid to late Summer? Just thinking of ways to make some extra $.

Jovid

Reaction score
You won't know if it is a good price until you know how much they weigh..........they could be 8-9 months old and only weigh 500 lbs

Isomade

Reaction score
Jovid":2hetixjz said:
You won't know if it is a good price until you know how much they weigh..........they could be 8-9 months old and only weigh 500 lbs
:nod:

OP
T

tncattle

Reaction score
I seller texted me and said they weigh 550-650. I think they are priced too high for that weight--JMO.

Isomade

Reaction score
tncattle":ceb21dfw said:
I seller texted me and said they weigh 550-650. I think they are priced too high for that weight--JMO.
If they average 600 that's 1.416/lb. If they are nice they would bring up to 1.40/lb here. But I agree that is a bit too high to wait 15-16 months for a calf.

plumber_greg

Reaction score
Maybe too high, but remember they are F-1's. Those kind are hard to come by, and a 10 cent premium on replacement quality is really not too much. gs

Susie David

Reaction score
I'd buy a load of them at that price, to bad you are so far away.
They are right at $1000 up here too and it looks like we haven't seen the end yet. Not a bad time to be thinking about retireing, for real this time, Haven't rebred yet and nice pairs are going for
$1800 and then some.
dave Mc