F1 Angus/Brahman vs Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
I have a few friends in Australia struggling to keep the proper 3/8 Brangus with good type and good beef grade, but I wonder how much if any better beef quality can be expect from Brangus vs F1 Angus/Brahman cross? I would expect higher heterosis on the F1 than the Brangus.

Also would a 3/4 Angus 1/4 Brahman cross(Angus x F1 Angus/Brahman) really struggle in the Hot Northen Australia region? :cboy:

gaurus":1siv1q4b said:
I have a few friends in Australia struggling to keep the proper 3/8 Brangus with good type and good beef grade, but I wonder how much if any better beef quality can be expect from Brangus vs F1 Angus/Brahman cross? I would expect higher heterosis on the F1 than the Brangus.

Also would a 3/4 Angus 1/4 Brahman cross(Angus x F1 Angus/Brahman) really struggle in the Hot Northen Australia region? :cboy:

I don't think so but you would have to be careful on what bull you used on that cross as the third generation is stabilized.
Pretty good write on this

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2040

I wonder if the problem might not be the bos indicous percentage but rather the genetics. Could make a world of difference. Not sure what bulls are available there, but I do know some top sires that ship semen internationally if ai is an option.

While you might get more heterosis from F1s, I'm pretty sure you'll get more uniformity from established Brangus cattle.