F-250 vibration

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I have a 02 f-250 superduty that has developed a loud vibration between 65 and 68 miles per hour. I have taken it to a tire shop and they say it is not the tires. I took it to a dealership last week and they said it was the front axle and or the ball joints . they replaced both and 1000 dollars later I still have the same problem. If I run it up to 70 and let off the gas it doesnt have the vibration as it decelerates. Any ideas?

The dealership has $#!^ for brains. Most likely either universals or could be a wheel bearing. Need more info about this vibration to give any more advice. :cowboy:

Sounds like it is in the front. Maybe worse on the drivers side. Also my hubs are not locking in automatically as they should. I am having to lock them in manually but I am unsure if the two are related

Engine mounts? Raise your hood and power brake in 1rst gear and reverse to see how far the engine will come up. Be careful though. If it raises too far, the fan will take out the shroud.

denoginnizer":3tds98zj said:
Sounds like it is in the front. Maybe worse on the drivers side. Also my hubs are not locking in automatically as they should. I am having to lock them in manually but I am unsure if the two are related

I'd bet you a soda pop they were. (That's as big a bet as I ever make)

Vibrations from the front end will be felt in the steering wheel. Vibrations from the rear will be felt in the seat. Do the ole' hold the finger out trick while holding the wheel or while the hand is resting on the seat and see when it shakes. That will help you find out front or rear.

Once you get past that, you've got your choices narrowed down a lot.

I had a similar problem with my ford 4x4. Left front wheel area and could not figure it out. My mechanic just started with the locking hub and continued. The problem was the axel carrier bearing located between the front u-joint and wheel bearings. They are shielded with no way to inspect or lubricate. When we discovered that one was bad I just had both replaced along with u-joints. Problem was solved.
Tom.

My hubby has had the same problem. Two solutions: 1. There's a soleniod that works that auto locking hubs. Have them check this. We despise auto locks b/c the 1st F250 that we had did this MANY times.... 2. HUBS! We have replaced his twice for the same thing. We replaced them at 100K and 180K. This fixes it everytime!

I took the truck back on friday and they decided it was the U joint which they fixed at no additional charge :mad: . The mechanic that replaced the ball joints and the front drive shaft quit after he worked on my truck. Only cost me about 1000 dollars. They claimed the other parts were badly worn anyway . Auto matic 4 wheel drive is still not working but I have decided I will just have to live with it until I can take the truck to another dealership.
Do mechanics get paid by the hour or by the job at most Ford and Chevrolet dealerships?

denoginnizer":up9gqsuv said:
I took the truck back on friday and they decided it was the U joint which they fixed at no additional charge :mad: . The mechanic that replaced the ball joints and the front drive shaft quit after he worked on my truck. Only cost me about 1000 dollars. They claimed the other parts were badly worn anyway . Auto matic 4 wheel drive is still not working but I have decided I will just have to live with it until I can take the truck to another dealership.
Do mechanics get paid by the hour or by the job at most Ford and Chevrolet dealerships?

For the 4WD, it could be a solenoid, or the actuator. Both easy fixes when isolated.

Mechanics at Ford dealers get paid by the hour. Shop rates I have heard of go from $60 to $90 CDN / hour, which is why I only get my parts at the stealership, not the service. :cowboy:

denoginnizer":2mnm9su0 said:
The get paid by the hr but if the book says the job takes 4 hrs and the mechanic does it in 3 he still gets paid for 4hrs of work also the dealership charges the 4 hrs as they go by book rates

kerley":3mo0izxc said:
The problem was the axel carrier bearing located between the front u-joint and wheel bearings. They are shielded with no way to inspect or lubricate. When we discovered that one was bad I just had both replaced along with u-joints. Problem was solved.
Tom.

I have seen that several times.

Red Bull Breeder":3mo0izxc said:
And if the book says it takes 4 hr and it takes 6 the mechanic gets payed for 4.

This is the way it works and it sucks some weeks.

Latest posts