F-250 super duty transmission noisey

Help Support CattleToday:

hayrack

Reaction score
I have a 99 250 super duty 5.4 liter 2 wheel drive truck with 95000 on it. The truck is a 5 speed manual and in higher rpms in gears 3 through 5 it makes a chattering noise. When you put your ear on the shifter you cant hear it but it is coming from the trans area. The U joints are tight and the truck has been taken care of and should not be bearings but sounds like it. What do you think? It is getting noiser so got to find out what is going on.

Kind of odd it only makes the noise in the three highest gears at high rpm. Your countershaft and input/output shafts turn thru the other gears also so I'm relating it to your speed. Does the frequency match your rpm's or speed? I'd be looking at the rear end (or clutch) personally. My biggest problem with the zf 5speeds has been with the 3rd and 5th gear synchronizers.

The last time we had something like that to happen we replaced trans.Several machanics said it was trans.
We replaced rearend after the new trans did not help.

Mat Man":1euftzal said:
The last time we had something like that to happen we replaced trans.Several machanics said it was trans.
We replaced rearend after the new trans did not help.
So you are saying that you replaced the trans and rearend too and still had noise? I use the clutch to shift. I let a machanic listen to it the other day and he is not sure what it is either. Going to a trans shop next week to see if they know. I dont think the clutch slips it seems to be real good. Yall keep thinking.

cfpinz":1gsxhs4o said:
Kind of odd it only makes the noise in the three highest gears at high rpm. Your countershaft and input/output shafts turn thru the other gears also so I'm relating it to your speed. Does the frequency match your rpm's or speed? I'd be looking at the rear end (or clutch) personally. My biggest problem with the zf 5speeds has been with the 3rd and 5th gear synchronizers.
The trans guy on the phone talked about some of the same things that you did. He said the trans like I have are pretty good and dont give much trouble. What could be going on with the clutch that would make this noise but still be good. I checked the trans fluid and it looks good and has been changed. I bought the truck new and is a 99 with 94000 miles on it. It has a 5.4 motor. YOu have me wondering about the clutch now. See the mechanic said once he wasnt sure it was in the trans and could be in the back of the motor but we kind of ruled that out. Maybe in the lower gears there is not enough strain on the clutch to get it to chatter. It is only after you get into higher rpms. High I mean 1500 up prolly and I did have about a ton on the back one day and it was alot louder than normal in the higher gears.

The rear end cured our problem.Check rear end make sure no metal shavings in gear oil.
Some plugs have a magnet on them.Makes it easy to check for shavings.

Mat Man":3bvzvxau said:
The rear end cured our problem.Check rear end make sure no metal shavings in gear oil.
Some plugs have a magnet on them.Makes it easy to check for shavings.
Well it does have the limited slip rear end and they are not known to last forever. What was the noise like that your truck had. Also what would get a drive shaft out of balance? It has not been off and I have checked U joints and they all seem good.

Did you replace the clutch ? If so did the mechanic turn your flywheel when the new clutch was installed ? If not that could be the problem. :cboy: Tom

kerley":32rsc5s2 said:
Did you replace the clutch ? If so did the mechanic turn your flywheel when the new clutch was installed ? If not that could be the problem. :cboy: Tom
It has the original clutch in it.

As far as the clutch goes, it could be your friction disc springs, something in the pressure plate or even your throw-out bearing. If I'm uncertain as to what is making a noise, I usually just run it til it breaks, then I know exactly what the problem is!

Latest posts