F-250 fuel leak

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I have been smelling diesal fuel while driving my truck but I just thought I had spilled some on my jacket. Tonight, I noticed a small puddle of diesal in the carport under the engine. Any ideas on what the problem is ?

denoginnizer":23lxapbs said:
I have been smelling diesal fuel while driving my truck but I just thought I had spilled some on my jacket. Tonight, I noticed a small puddle of diesal in the carport under the engine. Any ideas on what the problem is ?

What make is it?

If it's an '02, it's a 7.3. Check the valley pan between the heads, most leaks are in this area, fill up the pan, and overflow coming off the back of the motor and down the side of the bellhousing. The most common leak is the fuel pump, located behind the filter housing and in front of the turbo, deep in the pan, not cheap, not easy to get to. Another common leak is the fuel filter vacuum sensor, on the side of the filter assembly, mine started leaking and I just jerked it off and plugged it with an 1/8" pipe plug, who needs it? Other than those two, check the filter and all the lines in that valley pan, a good place to start.

cfpinz

Ive got a 2000 and had a leak at the fuel filter housing. Just the o-ring was all. It was fixed with a filter change. Real simple to do.

kjones":2q1fp3ti said:
Ive got a 2000 and had a leak at the fuel filter housing. Just the o-ring was all. It was fixed with a filter change. Real simple to do.

Mine was a cracked fuel filter.

Ours is a bit older but replaced the fuel return boots on the injectors...the whole kit cost less than forty bucks. Had trouble starting along with the leak.
DMc