F-1's

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Yes,

I wanted to know what yall think about the use of f1's in texas? We have just inquried 40 2 year olds that are bred to low birth weight brangus bulls that are to calve antime which we already have a few down. What do yall think about breding them back to a hereford or an brangus bull?

One more thing how do you get the tiger stripes? Is the brahman cow crossed with the bull or the other way around?

Thank You!

> hereford bull on brahma cattle for
> tigerstripe

You can make the cross either way. As above or Brahman bull on hereford cows. It seems many people do not understand basic genetics. The F-1 is only a term or description for the first cross between two purebred animals. Another example is Brahman X Angus is Brangus.

[email protected]

Right, F1 is a biological term for the offspring resulting from breeding two purebred species. Whether you're crossing beans or cattle, the first generation cross is F1. However, the Brangus beed is 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman, not an F1. If you cross a Brangus and Angus, you get the new breed, Angus Plus.

> You can make the cross either way.
> As above or Brahman bull on
> hereford cows. It seems many
> people do not understand basic
> genetics. The F-1 is only a term
> or description for the first cross
> between two purebred animals.
> Another example is Brahman X Angus
> is Brangus.

[email protected]

O.K. , but genetically , what breed is obtained by crossing, let's say , a registered Brahman sire with a registered Angus female?

> Right, F1 is a biological term for
> the offspring resulting from
> breeding two purebred species.
> Whether you're crossing beans or
> cattle, the first generation cross
> is F1. However, the Brangus beed
> is 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman, not
> an F1. If you cross a Brangus and
> Angus, you get the new breed,
> Angus Plus.

[email protected]

>No breed that I'm familiar with. That cross would result in an F1, an Angus-Brahman cross. The Brangus breed has been around since about 1949. The Breed Association was established that year.

O.K. , but genetically , what
> breed is obtained by crossing,
> let's say , a registered Brahman
> sire with a registered Angus
> female?

[email protected]

If your dead set on using a hereford or brangus, go with hereford. If you use the brangus it may result in too much brahman characteristics. Which may result in a discount at the sale. You may consider using an angus or continental breed such as a charlois or simmental. Also I wanted to comment on your calving date, you may want to push it further into fall, but I don't know your geographic area.

[email protected]

Latest posts