F-1 Wagyu

Help Support CattleToday:

It was an experiment with tenderness and IMO it has a moderate flavor.
This steer was 880 hwt and couldn't turn out any better as far as taste and marbling. The tenderness was very good. Overall our best F2 yet. But it's subtle how much influence the lowline had @ 75% Wagyu.
It also took 24 months.
Most of our % cattle are still experiments.
We are using FB Wagyu genetics to gain on our Full Blood side but also using them with % cattle trying to get best results we can.
Not matter what you cross with you will always loose something when you gain something else. Key is don't get greedy.
Just like me and my wife say " We may never have it all altogether...but together we have it all "

Attachments

• original_5d96e014-40e5-4c56-91d0-f40c47b74de2_IMG_20220425_174135620_HDR.jpg
    original_5d96e014-40e5-4c56-91d0-f40c47b74de2_IMG_20220425_174135620_HDR.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13
Kobe beef is raised and slaughtered by giving the cattle regular massages and feeding them beer, and then slaughtering them when they're ready. Kobe beef is a Japanese delicacy that is prized for its intense flavor and marbled texture. The cattle are raised in a very specific way that results in this unique product.

It was an experiment with tenderness and IMO it has a moderate flavor.
This steer was 880 hwt and couldn't turn out any better as far as taste and marbling. The tenderness was very good. Overall our best F2 yet. But it's subtle how much influence the lowline had @ 75% Wagyu.
It also took 24 months.
Most of our % cattle are still experiments.
We are using FB Wagyu genetics to gain on our Full Blood side but also using them with % cattle trying to get best results we can.
Not matter what you cross with you will always loose something when you gain something else. Key is don't get greedy.
Just like me and my wife say " We may never have it all altogether...but together we have it all "
How long on feed?
What type and amount of feed per day?
If you don't mind me asking?
I'd love to try one of those t bones!
Kobe beef is raised and slaughtered by giving the cattle regular massages and feeding them beer, and then slaughtering them when they're ready. Kobe beef is a Japanese delicacy that is prized for its intense flavor and marbled texture. The cattle are raised in a very specific way that results in this unique product.
I always heard it was sake? Sah-kee...
Not beer

20 months on feed
14% developer
26% protein tub
Fescue hay ... (and I sneak 1 bale of Alfalfa when I can from my wife's Tennessee Walkers)
Pasture has been really poor last 2 years. Just hasn't rained. Right now we've had 32" all year which is about half of what we should get.
Jeezus... no wonder beef is so expensive at the retail level.

Why is no one today breeding for easy finish?

LOL... 20 months getting the beef drunk?
No, what I'm getting at is I don't think mead is anything special. I'll drink it, but only every so often and for the right price. I wouldn't waste the honey to make it myself unless asked by someone to do so and I find it tedious in terms of time investment.

But there's enough folks that do like it and want to pretend to be a viking or drink it while they play D&D and twirl their hipster mustaches, and they pay well for it, and somebody sells it to them and makes money off of it.

Sounds to me like they put the calf on feed at 4 months old, but I guess they have the market to materialize the gain for the grain. If that market falls out, then there's an issue.

No, what I'm getting at is I don't think mead is anything special. I'll drink it, but only every so often and for the right price. I wouldn't waste the honey to make it myself unless asked by someone to do so and I find it tedious in terms of time investment.

But there's enough folks that do like it and want to pretend to be a viking or drink it while they play D&D and twirl their hipster mustaches, and they pay well for it, and somebody sells it to them and makes money off of it.

Sounds to me like they put the calf on feed at 4 months old, but I guess they have the market to materialize the gain for the grain. If that market falls out, then there's an issue.
Maybe we should ask MCR to clarify... There's too much room in something like this for misunderstanding.

Maybe we should ask MCR to clarify... There's too much room in something like this for misunderstanding.
That particular steer went longer on feed then usual, the cross of lowline Angus made it a challenge to put weight on him... especially with 75% wagyu.
Our ranch concentrats on one thing, the best tasting, cleanest beef we can raise in a very low stress environment.
We have a trademark product, Healthy Legacy Wagyu (tm).
50/50 is correct, we are in a specialty market. Average $11 lb processed. Usually purchased one year or two years in advance.
There are many Wagyu ranches that will go to 30 months+ trying to reach BMS of 12 or Japanese classification A5.

Last edited:

Latest posts