eye set?

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
While reading the "which one?" post I noticed someone mentioned "eye set". What does this mean? Also is there a web site with pictures of good and bad conformation of cattle? I keep reading things like post legged, deep bodied,clean fronted..ect, ect.. Would like to learn what these are and be able to better judge an animal.

WisRose":ml513non said:
While reading the "which one?" post I noticed someone mentioned "eye set". What does this mean?

It was probably me.

Look at a bull straight on. If you see both eyes completely, and his eyes appear buldged out then he is more subject to weather, dust, sun, injury, brush and just the elements in general. I like to see a bull with a little cover on the eye. Helps with glare and all the other things I mentioned. Look at the #1 bull at the "web site: noted in Frenchies post and blow up the picture, see how his eye appears more covered? Now compare him the lower bull (Online son). The picture can be deceiving, but the #3 bulls eyes are more exposed. I'll have to get back with you on confirmation. That's a lot of typing... :)

Let me add that the #3 bull has a good eye lid and does not look "bug eyed", but is does appear to have more exposure.

Thanks 1848 :D It would help to know what to look for when checking out possible new herd additions.

I don't like bug-eyed cattle much either. Besides the practical reasons I feel like they are watching me a little too closely! :shock:

cowgal":28ubs166 said:
I don't like bug-eyed cattle much either. Besides the practical reasons I feel like they are watching me a little too closely! :shock:

But a studded collar helps take the attention away from the eyes...right! :lol:

Latest posts