Eye set, pigment, and phenotype for Knersie

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF

Reaction score
Knersie,
and anyone else that wants to comment about the 4 week old heifer in the following pictures. What are your thoughts about the eye set and general phenotype?

for_ralph_022.jpg

for_ralph_014.jpg

for_ralph_010.jpg

Alright who's she out of? My only thought is jealousy. Very nice calf Ken. I'll leave Harley to comment on the eyes.

Looks pretty good to me, maybe could stand to be a little deeper bodied.

Looks like a rock star to me !!!!! :pretty:

Seriously...looks like a great calf...at first I wondered too if she could be a bit deeper bodied...but I don't think so...she is young...just shows lot's of growth potential. Very correct, lot's of bone, shows good length and depth of quarter....good work !!
jenran

I think its a young calf with lots of potential. Phenotypically I don't see any faults, very well proportioned, enough bone, very well shaped hip, very stylish calf. I don't see her depth as a concern at this stage, you'll be able to tell more in another 4 weeks time, you don't want calves to look too short and stocky at 4 weeks, we are not trying to breed ponies anymore.

Her eyeset is pretty good for her age, heifer tend to develope a more bulging eye later so that might very well still change a little. Her eyelashes are close to ideal, good pigment although the pigment should ideally go down lower towards the "corner" of the right eye. I have seen this change and become more with time as well.

I would be pretty happy if she was born in my herd

CPL":itlx1b0a said:
Alright who's she out of? My only thought is jealousy. Very nice calf Ken. I'll leave Harley to comment on the eyes.

Her sire is LFF SCHURABLE (P42688529)
Her dam is EFBEEF 9802 PATSY S619 (P42694563)

KNERSIE":3mzvje7c said:
grand chaser09":3mzvje7c said:
good little heifer. watch her eyes though. kinda light might get cancer or pink eye.

This should give you a better understanding of what we select for and why as well as the causes of pink eye and eye cancer.
http://www.studbook.co.za/Society/heref ... ection.pdf

Thank you for the excellent reference, Knersie. I assume you wrote it? Very well done and illustraed. I learned something useful. You made me want to pull out pictures of my herd and grade them on eyes!

I've read where rotational grazing helps prevent eye problems also because the forage tends to be eat down more uniformly. Cattle don't tend to be picking at low grasses with taller weeds, often gone to seed, poking them in the eye.

Do you do rotational grazing in SA?

Jim

Yes we do rotational graze, but although it might be the ideal in theory it seldom works out that we can keep grasses from going to seed, especially on the veld. Allowing them to go to seed every so often is what keeps the pioneer grasses from taking over again.

And yes, I wrote that.

Latest posts