eye question?

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
We have a heifer that has an eye that is white/cloudy and runny. Not terribly bad (yet) but enough that it looks uncomfortable. Delt with pink eye in the past with a shot of LA 200 with good results and this is probably a case of that or a scratch/poke/injury issue.
Question is have any of you ever just let it be and given it time and had it come out with good results? Non intervention if you will.
I know a shot and patch is the way most go but I'm just wondering what happens if we give it a week or so and see how it goes
What got me thinking about "non intervention" is that now, as of January 2018 in good ol California you can no longer buy antibiotics like LA 200 or 300 over the counter. You have to get it from a vet.
Not a huge deal but it just got me thinking what if we just give it time and see.

That is a hit or miss question. Yes, you could let it go and it might recover completely. Conversely, you could let it go and she could go blind. Only the Bovine Gods can read the future.

I always treat.

Just posted recently about not treating a cow with a small white spot/runny eye and within 10 days it was gone. BUT this was a 6 year old cow born/raised here that had been vaccinated with an autogenous pinkeye vaccine every year since birth. Plus, I couldn't catch her. Was it the vaccine or just an abrasion that never ulcerated & healed? Will never know. Unfortunately in your case, you have a heifer that needs to be treated if the eye is already cloudy. You could try spraying Vetericyn & patch it but why risk it? I feel for you, not being able to purchase basic, necessary meds any more.

I would treat it. There is a real chance of a bad ulcer rupturing, also a real chance of it healing but if it goes the way of rupturing, it is good bye eye.

For what it is worth, mastitis preparations containing Cloxacillin can be used topically, that is you put 1/2 tube between the eyelids, not inject it into the udder. The results are very good and it is supposed to give therapeutic levels in the eye for 72hrs. Google Orbenin eye ointment, it is a mastitis prep with a different label, same tube.

Ken

I just couldn't ""wait and see""with pinkeye...knock in the head and be done with it..while it's still early.waaaaaaaay to many things to worry about in the cattle business, to have one you can hopefully control...

Caught her today and gave her a shot and ointment put a patch on it too.
Not worth the worry of "what if"
Thanks for the responses.
Have a good week!

wbvs58":2rgdw4ns said:
I would treat it. There is a real chance of a bad ulcer rupturing, also a real chance of it healing but if it goes the way of rupturing, it is good bye eye.

For what it is worth, mastitis preparations containing Cloxacillin can be used topically, that is you put 1/2 tube between the eyelids, not inject it into the udder. The results are very good and it is supposed to give therapeutic levels in the eye for 72hrs. Google Orbenin eye ointment, it is a mastitis prep with a different label, same tube.

Ken
yup. A shot of spectramast under the eye lid and maybe a dose of la 200 and she'll be good as new