Eye problems/ eye color

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion or actual factoid about eye problems in regard to eye color? Ive always been told that a white face cow is a little more prone to eye trouble than a colored face cow. Looking back,...I don't recall ever having eye trouble with a cow that has some pigment around the eye, even if it is a baldie or hereford that has colored rings around the eye. I am convinced that this is true just from past experience, just not sure of the actual reason. Just curious, have some pinkeye this year, and again,... all white faces.

grubbie":1uop539u said:
Just curious, have some pinkeye this year, and again,... all white faces.

I'm thinking that your answer is the exceptional rainfall we've had this year. The flies are worse than ever, the grass is higher than ever - and both play a significant factor in pinkeye. I'm thinking the fact that your cattle have white faces is just coincidence, but I can't back that up with experience since we sold out some years back.

Go and take head on photos of all the cattle with eye problems and post them here, I'll then show you another common trait(s) except for lack of pigment.

grubbie":1h37tm08 said:
Anyone have an opinion or actual factoid about eye problems in regard to eye color? Ive always been told that a white face cow is a little more prone to eye trouble than a colored face cow. Looking back,...I don't recall ever having eye trouble with a cow that has some pigment around the eye, even if it is a baldie or hereford that has colored rings around the eye. I am convinced that this is true just from past experience, just not sure of the actual reason. Just curious, have some pinkeye this year, and again,... all white faces.
Pigment around the eye helps reduce the reflective sun ray that can irritate the eye. Same as football players putting the black below the eye. A deeper eye set also helps with this as well as protecting the eye from the irritating grass/weeds poking them.

I've been asked about pink eye in Charolais cattle. No pigment there and so far, have not seen a Char with pink eye.

msscamp":3nk12d7v said:
grubbie":3nk12d7v said:

I'm thinking that your answer is the exceptional rainfall we've had this year. The flies are worse than ever, the grass is higher than ever - and both play a significant factor in pinkeye. I'm thinking the fact that your cattle have white faces is just coincidence, but I can't back that up with experience since we sold out some years back.
Yeah that much I understand. Flies are bad, hoppers are even worse here. I have just never seen a black or red face cow with pinkeye. Knersie it will be a week before I could get some pictures up, but I would be very interested in what other traits to look for.

mnmtranching":1ydyb2xg said:
I've been asked about pink eye in Charolais cattle. No pigment there and so far, have not seen a Char with pink eye.
Don;t confuse pigment with hair

mnmtranching":196833qd said:

Come on down to KY?
Got a partner has a char and her calf that both have already had pinkeye this year?

Fly's are bad grass is high and its hot at heck.... Bad combo.
Just tough times I guess?

grubbie":1k8jhwx9 said:
msscamp":1k8jhwx9 said:
grubbie":1k8jhwx9 said:

I have just never seen a black or red face cow with pinkeye.

I have - on multiple occasions.

We had pink eye in brangus over the winter. It was a first for me. But now I can say I have seen it. Solid blacks - in the dead of winter. Go figure.

Latest posts