eye problem

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
I am feeding a few #800 out and one has an eye that is almost swollen shut. It also has diarrhea and is coughing. Does anyone know what would cause these at the same time. They are being fed free choice hay, and #8 corn a day. They also have been eating some older hay that was going to be beading. There are also a few places they scratch that have some nails(they just keep finding them). Any ideas/ would pink eye have the cough diarrhea?

Not really sure, but sounds like it might be the old hay causing the caugh and maybe even the diarreah if there is some mold in it.. sounds like pink eye, or maybe it has some hay stuck in its eye... had that happen before. ;-)

The more I look around the web that is what I am thinking also. I am looking to slaughter them in the next to weeks so I don't want to give them anything that has a withdrawl time.

I need some cash. I think they should have 500 hanging weight and at $2 a pound I don't think I am making a bad choice. Anyway I don't make my money on gain, but difference in sale price. Margin?

IBR could be whats wrong with them. Its hard to tell from my computer. I would give them some LA 200 or something to see it it will kick what they have. I wouldn't waste alot of time searching the internet. Call your vet, another producer to see what they think. I would give a round of LA 200 and check out the eyes to see if hay is stuck in there.

The eye problem has cleared up and diarrhea has stopped since I blocked of the old hay. Slaughter in 3 days. If someone wants to buy a quarter I charge $2.00 per pound. Lots of peolpe having large parties , mostly graduation at this time will need that much beef and buy a quarter. As for the medical problem I would say it was a small case of pink eye brought on by dust that cleared up fast, there may have also been a little to much corn being fed to quick.

Glad you got that worked out. I was wondering what the results would be.

Latest posts