eye problem

Help Support CattleToday:

kjt265

Reaction score
I have a cow with a swollen right eye very little watering don't think it's pink eye any ideas.

kjt265":1o3pp9rp said:
I have a cow with a swollen right eye very little watering don't think it's pink eye any ideas.
Welcome to the Boards. Not much to go on, is it? How long has it been swollen? Where is it swollen? Is it swollen shut? What color is it? Etc, etc? A pic would be nice. If we're forced to guess just on the limited info you provided, I would guess anything from a cancer behind it, to something in it. Something that she'll never recover from, or something that will heal up with no treatment. It's just a wild guess with what you gave us to go on.......

I had a calf with the same thing about 3 months ago it died in about 2 days. This one is swollen around the brow and has started just today. thought maybe it was a snake bite but hard to believe it would happen twice.

kjt265":3vvpp6qf said:
I had a calf with the same thing about 3 months ago it died in about 2 days. This one is swollen around the brow and has started just today. thought maybe it was a snake bite but hard to believe it would happen twice.

OK - first off - unless it is snake bite - not to worry.

If it is snake bite - someone else will have to help - we do not have that problem up here - far too cold for them type of snakes.

It is rare that a swollen eye is fatal - suspect your last animal died of something quite different.

Swollen eyes come from many different things.

She may:

1. Have been bunted hard by another cow.
2. Stung by a bee.
3. Banged her head into a branch.
4. Run something up into her eye - signs here - watering in a heavy way, rubbibg hard, eye closed and so on.
5. Irritated it with some grass.
6. And so on.

The possibilities are almost endless. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg.

Wait it out - if it is # 1,2,3,5 you will see it go down in time. If it is # 4 you may have to help her out.

Forget cancer eye - does not sound like it at this stage.

I would not suspect pink eye - no serious watering and I presume eye is open. So relax and perhaps Mother Nature will take her course.

Watch it and if it gets worse over the next few days - possibly time to do something - hope you have decent catch facilities - they do not like you playing with their eyes.

ez'

Latest posts