Eye problem, injury or bite?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Found my bull like this this afternoon. Eyeball seems to look fine, just the big know below it. He jerks around so bad can't tell if it is hard or soft. He acts normal and seems to be able to see out of it. Wondering if I should call a vet in on the weekends as their after hour calls are very expensive, $70 just to return your call after hours, Spoke with a couple guys around here and they seem to think he either stuck something in it or a snake bite. They think treat with a antibiotic and wait until Monday to see if their is improvement.

What would you do?

HPNX0038.jpg

HPNX0035.jpg

Looks to me like an injury, as in he caught it on something or, it could be an abcess caused by a sliver of something. The eye itself looks OK. I personally wouldn't call a vet in on this one, but it all depends how comfortable you are dealing with this sort of stuff. I would give an antibiotic, penicillin would be my first choice, or an oxytetracyline if I didn't have pen. I would also give an anti-inflammatory such as Dex. And then just keep an eye on it. If it seems to be getting better, leave it at that, if it isn't getting better or if it seems to get worse then I would call in the vet.

randiliana":xlsye7fz said:
Looks to me like an injury, as in he caught it on something or, it could be an abcess caused by a sliver of something. The eye itself looks OK. I personally wouldn't call a vet in on this one, but it all depends how comfortable you are dealing with this sort of stuff. I would give an antibiotic, penicillin would be my first choice, or an oxytetracyline if I didn't have pen. I would also give an anti-inflammatory such as Dex. And then just keep an eye on it. If it seems to be getting better, leave it at that, if it isn't getting better or if it seems to get worse then I would call in the vet.

I gave penicillin but did not have any Dex., Aspirin is suppose to be a anti-inflammatory so I gave him some in feed.
I talked to friend whose sister is a vet and he pretty much suggested the same thing but if I did not see improvement by Monday maybe get him checked. Really don't want to call a vet in for an after hours call unless it seems to be life threatening.

tom4018":1bsljs7f said:
randiliana":1bsljs7f said:

I gave penicillin but did not have any Dex., Aspirin is suppose to be a anti-inflammatory so I gave him some in feed.
I talked to friend whose sister is a vet and he pretty much suggested the same thing but if I did not see improvement by Monday maybe get him checked. Really don't want to call a vet in for an after hours call unless it seems to be life threatening.

Sounds good. Looks nastier than it probably is.

That's ironic. I've got two 7wt heifers in the weaning lot beside my house, walked thru this morning around 11am to fill their water trough and one of them had an eye that was swollen in the exact same place/manner but it was a good bit more inflamed, held her eye shut. Knot was about the size of my fist. Her other eye had the same inflamation but about half the size of the one in your picture. Neither had any blood or open flesh. I was busy doing other things all day, went back out at 7pm to give them a bite of grain and the swelling was completely gone. One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

cfpinz":3i71wn67 said:
That's ironic. I've got two 7wt heifers in the weaning lot beside my house, walked thru this morning around 11am to fill their water trough and one of them had an eye that was swollen in the exact same place/manner but it was a good bit more inflamed, held her eye shut. Knot was about the size of my fist. Her other eye had the same inflamation but about half the size of the one in your picture. Neither had any blood or open flesh. I was busy doing other things all day, went back out at 7pm to give them a bite of grain and the swelling was completely gone.

One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Haven;t been looking in the mirror much lately, huh

dun":3iorv21q said:
cfpinz":3iorv21q said:

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better loking each day.

cfpinz":3mhu30uk said:
dun":3mhu30uk said:
cfpinz":3mhu30uk said:

You only wish you were Mac Davis

dun":2i3z59ag said:
cfpinz":2i3z59ag said:

You only wish you were Mac Davis

And I bet you wish you had stayed in school, maybe you and Thomas Jefferson would have graduated the same year.

I'm with the rest, it looks like an injury or possibly a snake bite, Long acting broad spectrum antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory should buy you enough time to see what is going on.

Did you feel the bloody part of the wound? Looks to me like he's got a piece of stick or something in there. No I wouldn't call the vet on this. He's going to tell you what the above posters recommend only charge you $70 for it.

mnmtranching":1l70jhuf said:
Did you feel the bloody part of the wound? Looks to me like he's got a piece of stick or something in there. No I wouldn't call the vet on this. He's going to tell you what the above posters recommend only charge you $70 for it.
What I did get to feel of it felt soft like fluid or swelling. I could not see anything in it. This morning it seems to have gone down some and the area is dryer than yesterday. Still could not see anything in it.

The bloody spot below the eye appears to be a wound, like a puncture. That eye area is pretty delicate, a jab in that area would cause plenty of local swelling. If the stick or whatever is out he should be ok. I agree with the antibiotic.

Just for an update. Had our vet look at him as he did not show much improvement and I was worried something might be in there. Vet thinks he was rubbing on something and hung it tear it as it is torn on the inside of the eye. Loaded him down with Noromyicin and some steriods. Looks to have gone down about a third.

Latest posts