eye injury/illness

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I have had an occasional cow in the summer grazing period with pink eye, in the past, that has cleared up with a dose of LA or Penn. and a patch. I now have heifers with January/February calves in a lot, and have had to treat 4 cows and 3 calves with in the past 3 weeks for what appears to be pink eye. but they are not clearing up with the usual treatment, so I am wondering if I have something else going on here. Usually we don't have pink eye till late summer, or when grazing tall headed out grasses. The usual pink eye symptoms of watery eye for a few days that seems to bother them in the sun, after day 2 or 3 if not treated it starts to get a white spot, and clouds up. these are Angus Hereford crosses, but it's the all black cows and calves with trouble so far.

A rule of thumb is if they develop a white spot, if it's centered it's pinkeye if it's not centered it's BVD. Either way, an injection of antibiotic directly into the skin of the eyeball will clear it up pronto. Of course that's another of those usually type of things.

dun

Have you checked the eyes out to make sure that there is nothing in them. We have problems with foxtail, crested wheat and greenfeed with beards. The seeds and beards will get caught in the eye lid, and continually scratch at the eye, which will cause pinkeye that cannot be cleared up until what ever it is, is removed. Sometimes, you have to really look closely, as it can be way back in the eyelid and can be quite small. And also, check to make sure that there are not more than 1 "slilver"

Are you sure it's pinkeye? I've had several with watery eyes the last couple of weeks off and on. It's been windy here and it makes their eyes water from the wind and dust blowing around.

if it's centered it's pinkeye if it's not centered it's BVD

Dun,

Did you mean Bovine Viral Diarreaha (sp)?

We have one with a white spot on the eye. Eye is watering and she is keeping it closed or squinted a lot.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":2n1l891b said:
if it's centered it's pinkeye if it's not centered it's BVD

Dun,

Did you mean Bovine Viral Diarreaha (sp)?

We have one with a white spot on the eye. Eye is watering and she is keeping it closed or squinted a lot.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

It's either BVD or IBR, don;t remember since we haven't had a problem with it in years. The deal with the cenetering of the spot is just one of those tidbits of useless information. But it may affect how you treat the problem.

dun

dun":2dg19efu said:
A rule of thumb is if they develop a white spot, if it's centered it's pinkeye if it's not centered it's BVD. Either way, an injection of antibiotic directly into the skin of the eyeball will clear it up pronto. dun

We usually just inject a std dose of antibiotics under the hide. Do you see the need to inject into the eye ball or double the dosage?

Stocker Steve":1k2j80pw said:
dun":1k2j80pw said:
A rule of thumb is if they develop a white spot, if it's centered it's pinkeye if it's not centered it's BVD. Either way, an injection of antibiotic directly into the skin of the eyeball will clear it up pronto. dun

We usually just inject antibiotics under the hide as usually. Do you see the need to inject into the eye ball?

Only for IBR and that's probably over kill

dun

randiliana":v36u4ztq said:
Have you checked the eyes out to make sure that there is nothing in them. We have problems with foxtail, crested wheat and greenfeed with beards. The seeds and beards will get caught in the eye lid, and continually scratch at the eye, which will cause pinkeye that cannot be cleared up until what ever it is, is removed.

I treated a bwf with aureomycin under the hide and a puffer on the eye. When I checked him today the tearing was less but now there is a large white spot in the center of the cornea. How long should I wait before retreating?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":m5m6wol8 said:
I would shoot some la 200 or penicillin in the eye just squirt it in the eye with a syringe. Make sure the needle is out. Either that or get some penicillin and give it 1 and a half cc in the eyelid. La 200 about 40-45 cc will knock it right out if they weigh about 1100 pounds or a little bigger. I believe the label says 4.5 cc per 100 pounds. I havent had a lot of luck with aureomycin to be honest. How many cc did you give? Im thinking you might not have given enough.

I gave the 4.5 cc/cwt. Is LA 200 better for certain treatments?

Not a cow on the place this summer, only one heifer with a runny eye, today I check on the girls seven calves with runny eyes, took a while to give them all shots and puffer in their eyes.

Latest posts