eye infection

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 17 year old Quarter Horse mare that has some sort of eye infection. I have tried two tubes of antibiotic ointment the vet gave me and it didn't work. My vet came out and tried to get a look but couldn't see anything. He wants to come out and put her to sleep so he can go in and check it out good. He say's she may have a sliver in it. I am worried about the putting to sleep part. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

> I have a 17 year old Quarter Horse
> mare that has some sort of eye
> infection. I have tried two tubes
> of antibiotic ointment the vet
> gave me and it didn't work. My vet
> came out and tried to get a look
> but couldn't see anything. He
> wants to come out and put her to
> sleep so he can go in and check it
> out good. He say's she may have a
> sliver in it. I am worried about
> the putting to sleep part. Any
> suggestions?? Thanks. Becky I have over the years had my fair share of horses put down( to sleep) for one reason or another there are certain risks involved. the horse could have a reaction to the drug,could going down or when waking up fall and hit something, could jump on waking up and hurt someone elce.This is a time when one must be able to really trust your vet.I honestly don't think they would unnessarly put a horse down unless they had any other choice.It's one of those things they are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

It sounds as if he/she is worried more about your horse loosing her eye if they don't..I wish you the best of Luck..I would be intrested in V the V to answer.

[email protected]

Latest posts